Halsted/North Avenue pix and info

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Halsted/North Avenue pix and info
Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 02:15AM

There's also a sort of stick/antenna/pole protuding to the left of the smokestack in the 58' color photo, behind a chimney, as if it's almost coming out of a chimney. I'm almost positive that's a flag pole and its part of Siebens as well. I believe that Siebens' extended pretty far back west of Larabee, and I've seen turn of the century rough photos of Siebens,either the Larabee or old Clybourn plant, that had a single flagpole atop the facility

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:20AM

WOW, On the smokestack building, captain you nailed it. Thank you! And on Siebens Pl
I guess it was named after the Siebens bros and the plant.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: July 26, 2011 12:07AM

I came across an interesting story through Google Books in 'Ambitious Brew: The Story Of American Beer' - Fritz Maytag was in the early stages of saving the Anchor Steam brewery in San Francisco. The story continues:

[i]'On the way back to California, Maytag stopped at Sieben Brewery Company, which was about to close its doors. Just a few years earlier, Joseph Sieben had told a reporter that, yes, lacking the 'cash surpluses and advertising' of the big brewers, he was having a 'rough time'. Still, he insisted, he could 'hold his own' as long as Chicagoans kept coming to his beer garden for lager and 'three-inch thick ham-and-cheese sandwiches'. Sieben's optimism was misplaced. The good people of Chicago didn't need Sieben's quaint beer garden located in a deteriorating neighborhood on Chicago's near north side, not when they could head to the chic Old Town neighborhood and sip a nationally advertised beer at the Bratskeller, a mock-Bavarian restaurant complete with 'black bread sandwiches mit kraut and candlelight'. By 1966, Sieben was ready to call it quits. Sieben's loss was Anchor's gain. Maytag bought the brewery's bottling line and hauled it to San Francisco'.[/i]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: July 26, 2011 12:17AM

Also, somewhat OT: does anyone know the story with the parking garage just south of Steppenwolf Theater? I remember it looking unfinished and being blocked off for a long time. It's the theater's lot now, but was it always? Who failed to complete it originally?

AD:

Date: July 26, 2011 05:55AM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, somewhat OT: does anyone know the story with
> the parking garage just south of Steppenwolf
> Theater? I remember it looking unfinished and
> being blocked off for a long time. It's the
> theater's lot now, but was it always? Who failed
> to complete it originally?

After Steppenwolf was completed in 89', there was an attempt by some developer to construct the garage, but I'm not sure who it was. Eventually around 94' it was
purchased by Steppenwolf and the top floors were completed and used as a garage, while the lower street level was constructed as a theatre, which is still used today.

AD:

Posted by: MollyGo ()
Date: August 06, 2011 02:41PM

I went to St. Michael's high school on Hudson, a dual coed school that had girls on one side and boys on the other. Now the building is condos. I graduated in '56 before Old Town. Artists did live there; many of them. Alvin (?) Albright or Albrecht lived there about three blocks south of the Church right off Sedgwick. Patsy's pizza was at Ogden south of North Avenue and you caught the Lincoln Avenue bus there and it ran on Larrabee. My classmates were predominately Italian, Irish and lotsa Germans, very few Hispanics then. Paddy Bauler was alderman and Daleiden Religious Goods was south of North Avenue on Hudson I believe.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: October 08, 2011 03:40PM

WayOutWardell,Captain54 and Rusty Muscle, You are looking west on the postcard.The facing building to the right was a bank with the safety deposit vault in the basement. There was a gas station where Terrys now stands. Across the street to the left was fischmanns liquor store and bar. Next door to fischmanns was the dell farm grocery store. Now considering I am taking you on a counter clockwise tour of that intersection, across from fischmanns was Sams vegetable and grocery stand. Across from Sams was a triangular building that housed a law office. Across from that and now being on the west side of larabee was a bar and restaurant and the bank that Imentioned at the start of this. Across from the bank was C.E.T., which sold televisions. And across from them was the gas station which is now terrys. I grew up on Vine street which was one block to the west. When I was a child that three street intersection did not have traffic lights. Ther were two police officers assigned to direct traffic, but I can only remember that one was named Johnny. Let me know if you need more.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: October 09, 2011 01:31AM

zorchvalve Wrote:
> WayOutWardell,Captain54 and Rusty Muscle, You are
> looking west on the postcard.The facing building
> to the right was a bank with the safety deposit
> vault in the basement. There was a gas station
> where Terrys now stands. Across the street to the
> left was fischmanns liquor store and bar. Next
> door to fischmanns was the dell farm grocery
> store. Now considering I am taking you on a
> counter clockwise tour of that intersection,
> across from fischmanns was Sams vegetable and
> grocery stand. Across from Sams was a triangular
> building that housed a law office. Across from
> that and now being on the west side of larabee was
> a bar and restaurant and the bank that Imentioned
> at the start of this. Across from the bank was
> C.E.T., which sold televisions. And across from
> them was the gas station which is now terrys. I
> grew up on Vine street which was one block to the
> west. When I was a child that three street
> intersection did not have traffic lights. Ther
> were two police officers assigned to direct
> traffic, but I can only remember that one was
> named Johnny. Let me know if you need more.

--There's more????

AD:

Posted by: BrianJ ()
Date: October 10, 2011 02:57AM

I posted two photos on the Forgotten Chicago flickr account that show North/Cly/Halsted in 1966 and 1969. I mentioned on the thread above this one that the are is grimy, industrial and downbeat and now it hosts the Apple store. Truly a remarkable change.

AD:

Date: October 10, 2011 06:14PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
> WayOutWardell,Captain54 and Rusty Muscle, You are
> looking west on the postcard.The facing building
> to the right was a bank with the safety deposit
> vault in the basement. There was a gas station
> where Terrys now stands. Across the street to the
> left was fischmanns liquor store and bar. Next
> door to fischmanns was the dell farm grocery
> store. Now considering I am taking you on a
> counter clockwise tour of that intersection,

You kind of lost me after Dell Farm Grocery, but thanks for that info..

I've always wondered about the urban renewal that occurred on Larrabee as you ventured north toward Webster/Oz Park..

AD:

Date: October 12, 2011 03:37PM

Captain 54, The Dell Farm was next door to Fischmanns on the south side of north ave. Directly across the street on the north side of north ave. was Sams vegetable and fruit stand. On the northeast corner of larabee, was a triangular building with law offices and a laundermat in it. The west side of that building faced out onto ogden ave. and the eastside faced out onto larabee. Across from that building( the west side of larabee) was a restaurant and bar. Going one or two doors south of that bar was the bank with the safety deposit box section in the basement. Across from that on the southwest corner of north ave. and ogden was a company called C.E.T.. They sold televisions.And across from that was the gas station dicussed before. Sorry that my explanation berfore was lacking, but I just got so excited that so many people were interested in that area.

AD:

Date: October 13, 2011 02:58PM

According to the Historic Aerials view, pretty much everything you've described vanished in the late 60's early 70's with the dismantling of Odgen.... and from what I can see, Terry's looks like it's not exactly on the spot of the gas station on the SW corner of Larrabee and North...Terry's is set back a ways, almost under the CTA tracks...and the gas station remained for a while after Ogden was torn up, but it looks like its been a parking lot of going on 30 yrs..

AD:

Date: October 16, 2011 06:23PM

captain54, North of north ave. was the ideal movie theater. on the south side of the ideal was a auto repair shop and on the north side (next to) the ideal was where the precinct captain lived. I acn't remember his name. Ther were house along the west and east sides of the street and in the middle of the block, on the west side was dohms, a little deli type store.You could usually find a card game going on in the back room. When reaching willow, there was a truck transport company on the east side of the street. From there it's just a blur. I sure would like to know where you saw the historic aerial view. I'll put together all that I can remember about that entire area from halsted to clark.

AD:

Posted by: gglow ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:11AM

people let me throw this out there,what i remember from back in '66-67.
what is now Terry's was a gressy spoon dive,maybe it was Terry's that
i don't know. it sat on a back on a triangle lot on North,Ogden,and Larabee.
i believe chmans was the liquor store that was on the southeat corner
of North and Larabee. the chmans is part of the sign that wrapped around
the corner of North. it can be seen becaused of the set back of the building
(gas station/hot dog stand.

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact