Homes on Goose Island?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Homes on Goose Island?
Date: July 09, 2011 10:24PM

[b]My dad grew up on Goose Island. Are there any homes left or any pictures of homes?[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Homes on Goose Island?
Posted by: graylander773 ()
Date: July 09, 2011 11:15PM

That is a very good question. I have not seen pics of old housing there, but would love to.

I wonder if there is any residential zoning remaining on Goose Island, allowing private residences? If there was housing on Goose Island currently, I'd imagine it's in/adjacent to the Shrimp House building there on Division - every other single building appears industrial or municipal in nature.

AD:

Date: July 10, 2011 07:48PM

[b]I looked on NETR historic Aeriels and did see homes on Hickory street and also on North Branch st. As I said my Dad lived there as a boy and swam in the river. I think there is csomething on the Chicago Daily news photographs also.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: July 10, 2011 10:35PM

Would the area around S of Chicago av, E of Halsted count???????. The re-zoned that area probably in the 1950's. But one book showed an interesting picture of the unusual zoning with A British Walker cologne factory surrounding some wooden shacks or 2-flats. With a young boy in overalls playing outside, Circa 1949.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: July 14, 2011 12:38PM

From [url=http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/300045.html]The Encyclopedia of Chicago History[/url]:

[i]No more than three families lived on Goose Island during the 1970s, and by 1985 only one house remained on the island. Goose Island had ended a second round of settlement, with most of the housing on its three residential streets destroyed. Despite the demise of worker housing, however, the area reemerged as a potential site for more affluent residents by the late 1980s. Just as developers eyed prime riverfront property closer to downtown, the empty lots on Goose Island began to attract interest and a healthy debate on the future of Goose Island ensued. One Near North residential developer commented: "Dirty industrial uses do not belong. As the city has changed over the years, it has become desirable that the heavy industry not be in the core of the city. It affects the quality of life for everybody. Although I don't think it should be legislated out of existence, it seems to me that over time it will be natural for it to move out." One longtime Goose Island resident disagreed, arguing for new industries to come to the island: "If it's a choice between industry or the new development [residential], I'd prefer the industry because it would be better for my business [restaurant and tavern.]" In May 1990, Mayor Daley backed the designation of Goose Island as a Planned Manufacturing District (PMD), which was supported by the local alderman. Daley commented that "the proposed district would help the industries on the island to expand and to retain jobs." By late 1997, virtually all the land in one of the resulting industrial parks had been filled. [/i]

AD:

Date: July 14, 2011 07:09PM

[b]Thanks for all that information. As I said I found residential houses on the Daily news Photographs. like about 1910. I will check it again.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 02:44PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: July 15, 2011 04:24PM

[b][/b]Chipast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would the area around S of Chicago av, E of
> Halsted count???????. The re-zoned that area
> probably in the 1950's. But one book showed an
> interesting picture of the unusual zoning with A
> British Walker cologne factory surrounding some
> wooden shacks or 2-flats. With a young boy in
> overalls playing outside, Circa 1949.

That would be to the south of the island but in the same area. Where can I see that picture you mentioned?

AD:

Posted by: graylander773 ()
Date: July 15, 2011 04:28PM

Here is a link to a specific page of [url=http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/f?cdn:0:./temp/~ammem_5dZG:]Goose Island photographs[/url] on the Daily News site. Fascinating...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 04:31PM by graylander773.

AD:

Date: July 15, 2011 10:52PM

[b][/b]graylander773 Wrote:
> Here is a link to a specific page of Goose Island
> photographs on the Daily News site. Fascinating...

The pictures won't come up/ Error on page . I will try later and hope to see the pictures.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: July 19, 2011 03:16PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> Chipast Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Would the area around S of Chicago av, E of
> > Halsted count???????. The re-zoned that area
> > probably in the 1950's. But one book showed an
> > interesting picture of the unusual zoning with
> A
> > British Walker cologne factory surrounding some
> > wooden shacks or 2-flats. With a young boy in
> > overalls playing outside, Circa 1949.
>
> That would be to the south of the island but in
> the same area. Where can I see that picture you
> mentioned?

I believe it was from a 1973 book on Chicago, Or the one from the mid-late 1970's with a blue paperback front.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact