Pictures of the Kraft Building on Peshtigo Ct?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pictures of the Kraft Building on Peshtigo Ct?
Posted by: asauterChicago ()
Date: July 09, 2011 05:29PM

Hey, anyone have pictures of the Kraft Building on Peshtigo Ct, 500-510 N Peshtigo Ct, (now an empty lot). I have tried every term I could think of trying to google pictures of it, but I've come up empty. All I get is pictures for the proposed building that was supposed to replace it and news articles how the "Historic" Kraft corporate headquarters was being torn down and replaced with condos, but empty on pictures.

I was thinking about it the other day when I came across this side-walk stamp by where I assume was the entrance of the building:

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Pictures of the Kraft Building on Peshtigo Ct?
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: July 09, 2011 07:14PM

Here's a shot from the IHPA

[url=http://gis.hpa.state.il.us/hargis/Reports/Reports.aspx?RefNumVariable=129234&FormType=Short]IHPA Report on Kraft bldg[/url]

Paul K. Dickman

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: July 09, 2011 07:35PM

my dad worked there in the 50s before landing a job with UPS .

AD:

Date: July 09, 2011 10:15PM

[b]I thought it turned into the NBC tower.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: July 10, 2011 12:00AM

Here's a photo for sale on eBay:

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Press-Photo-Former-Kraft-headquarters-building-/260814079978?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3cb9bb07ea]Former Kraft Building[/url]

The KRAFT name was still visible in the brickwork on the smokestack to the west...I think it remained until the end.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: July 10, 2011 10:36PM

Oh, The good for nothing results of "progress".

AD:

Posted by: asauterChicago ()
Date: July 11, 2011 09:31PM

Hey, awesome find WayOutWardell. It's interesting to see how the sidewalk wrapped around the building and so much of the left over "stuff" there makes sense now. Sidenote: so that empty parking on Peshtigo Ct, in front of the former entrance to the Kraft building, looks like it's always been a parking lot for the Kraft building. I always wondered if there was anything else there, but apparently, it was just a lot for employees. Crazy :-).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 09:34PM by asauterChicago.

AD:

Posted by: randoymwords ()
Date: September 15, 2011 03:45AM

It isn't quite the same thing, but I just posted a photo of my Kraft miniature building paperweight on the Forgotten Chicago feed.
I remember it as being the District Police station, perhaps we'd have more luck finding a photo that way? I'd like to see one myself so I can link to it for comparison...
RJ

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact