Lone graves sites in Chicagoland

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Lone graves sites in Chicagoland
Date: June 30, 2011 04:19PM

[b]Anybody know of lone grave sites in the Chicagoland area? There is said to be one on 135th st.west of Ridgeland Ave. and another on the Southeast side. On Daily News Photographs they shouwe a tomb in Chicago but no location given.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lone graves sites in Chicagoland
Posted by: StrayKitten ()
Date: June 30, 2011 06:28PM

Was the tomb the "Couch" mauseleum that is in Lincoln Park? That's the only one I know of.

AD:

Date: June 30, 2011 09:09PM

StrayKitten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the tomb the "Couch" mauseleum that is in
> Lincoln Park? That's the only one I know of.
[b]I know that one and its not it.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Llepke ()
Date: June 30, 2011 09:18PM

I know that there is BatchelorsGroveCemetery right across from ElizabethConkeyWoods, but most of those burials have been moved, 135th/SouthWestHwy is a different cemetery with lots of tombstones, down by the swamp there is where the infamous butcher that served up human meat is buried

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: July 04, 2011 10:49PM

Just learned of this lone grave site in Elgin where the Channing cemetery used to be...

[i]One marked grave remains in Channing today. Located in the far southeast corner, it is the grave of William Hackman, an Elgin National Watch Company employee, who died 28 February 1885. The EAHS held a re-dedication ceremony at the grave site in September 1971.[/i]

Here is a link to photos of the old cemetery grounds, including a photo of Hackman's stone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29029038@N08/sets/72157606376142045/

AD:

Posted by: lursa1967 ()
Date: July 05, 2011 11:41PM

Don't know of any lone grave sites, but there are 3 little graveyards near where I live that are kinda interesting. The first is the Glos Cemetery in Elmhurst the second is the Old Settlers Cemetery in Berkeley and third is Boeger Cemetery in the parking lot of Yorktown Mall. There are 2 others that also may be of interest. One is the Glos Mausoleum in downtown Elmhurst and the other is Butler Cemetery it is separated from Brownswood Cemetery by a large hedge. You can see it from the road better in the winter...less plants.

AD:

Posted by: SlickPoetry ()
Date: July 06, 2011 04:54PM

Richard, the "lone grave site" you refer to at 135th and Ridgeland is actually a small family plot. Its believed there are around 7 people buried there. For more info go to this URL:

http://graveyards.com/IL/Cook/sauerbier/

AD:

Posted by: frostyplum ()
Date: July 06, 2011 05:34PM

One lone grave that's always fascinated me is the Andreas von Zirngibl grave on the South Side. von Zirngibl was a Russian immigrant who owned a farm on that land, way back in the day. His will specified that he be buried on his land, no matter what happened to it. That is why it's in the middle of a scrapyard:

http://graveyards.com/graveyards/IL/Cook/Andreas-von-Zirngibl-grave

The Google maps link gives the address as 9331 S. Ewing.

AD:

Date: July 06, 2011 05:50PM

Some more lone grave sites in Chicagoland (obvious ones, but they haven't been mentioned yet):

Douglas Memorial Park/Stephen Douglas Memorial at 636 E. 35th Street. The man IS buried there.

Robinson Woods (East River Road at Lawrence) has a burial ground with the remains of Native American Edward Robinson and some of his family.

Also, the Andreas von Zirngibl grave site is a unique one. Andreas von Zirngibl was born in Russia on March 30, 1797 and was a soldier in the army that fought Napoleon at Waterloo in 1816. He made his way to Chicago, where he had a farm and where he died on Aug. 21, 1855. In his will, he decreed that he be buried on his own land and that his grave be kept sacred, no matter what happened to the land. His grave still stands, surrounded by the rust and rubble of the SIMS Metal Management scrap yard, which sprawls north and east of East 93rd Street and South Ewing Avenue. The gravesite is literally a small square of land, surrounded by a small fence, inside of a vast junk yard.

AD:

Date: July 06, 2011 08:35PM

[b]Thanks you all that was some good information like I was looking for.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: ThenNowFuture ()
Date: November 08, 2011 02:56AM

There is also a lone grave near the grounds of the Oak Forest Hospital, just off of Cicero. I believe there were more graves there and markers but were moved some time ago. One stone remains, flush to the ground.

AD:

Date: November 15, 2011 07:18PM

ThenNowFuture Wrote:
> There is also a lone grave near the grounds of the
> Oak Forest Hospital, just off of Cicero. I believe
> there were more graves there and markers but were
> moved some time ago. One stone remains, flush to
> the ground.

If I am thinking of the same place, that is actually a Potter's Field. If you read the marker, it is dedicated to the (presumably) hundreds of people that were buried there. So it is definitely not a "lone grave" site

AD:

Posted by: frostyplum ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:13AM

There's one I forgot that I pass by almost every day. On the border of Andersonville and Edgewater, right by the fountain on Clark, there's a headstone that simply says "Peaches." It's got a covered picture on it of a middle-aged lady. I think she passed sometime in her 40s. Don't know if she's buried on site, but the marker always gives me pause when I walk by.

AD:

Posted by: ThenNowFuture ()
Date: December 04, 2011 12:04PM

[quote=Slickpoetry: If I am thinking of the same place, that is actually a Potter's Field. If you read the marker, it is dedicated to the (presumably) hundreds of people that were buried there. So it is definitely not a "lone grave" site][/quote]

It's the same. Saw it a long time ago. Forgot what the stone said. It's not a lone grave or a lonely grave, then. ;-->

Too bad. It's always interesting to find these things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2011 12:07PM by ThenNowFuture.

AD:

Date: December 04, 2011 10:42PM

SlickPoetry Wrote:
> ThenNowFuture Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is also a lone grave near the grounds of
> the
> > Oak Forest Hospital, just off of Cicero. I
> believe
> > there were more graves there and markers but
> were
> > moved some time ago. One stone remains, flush
> to
> > the ground.
>
>
> If I am thinking of the same place, that is
> actually a Potter's Field. If you read the marker,
> it is dedicated to the (presumably) hundreds of
> people that were buried there. So it is definitely
> not a "lone grave" site
[b]Just where is this stone? I would like to see it.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten ()
Date: December 05, 2011 12:06PM

frostyplum Wrote:
> There's one I forgot that I pass by almost every
> day. On the border of Andersonville and Edgewater,
> right by the fountain on Clark, there's a
> headstone that simply says "Peaches." It's got a
> covered picture on it of a middle-aged lady. I
> think she passed sometime in her 40s. Don't know
> if she's buried on site, but the marker always
> gives me pause when I walk by.d

That's really interesting! I'd love to hear the story!

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 06:08PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
Just where is this stone? I would like to see it.

Its on Cicero, south of Oak Forest Hospital.

I actually found a good link that explains the cemetery situation at Oak Forest Hospital: [url=http://www.ssghs.org/oak_%20forest_%20hospital_%20cemetery.htm]http://www.ssghs.org/oak_%20forest_%20hospital_%20cemetery.htm[/url]

There are actually three cemeteries, according to that link. The one I was referring to is called St. Gabriel Cemetery, and is about 16400 S. Cicero in Oak Forest. It was the cemetery for indigent Catholics. The above link says the only thing in the cemetery is a statue of St. Frances, but I am almost sure there is a stone describing the purpose of the cemetery. There are no individual grave markers of any kind.

The two other cemeteries were for Lutherans and Episcopalians. They have no tombstones either.

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 06:13PM

Sorry, there are FOUR cemeteries at Oak Forest Hospital.

The three religious ones I spoke of in my earlier post, which are all south of the hospital, and then the county cemetery that is east of the hospital buildings.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: December 13, 2011 01:45AM

frostyplum Wrote:
> There's one I forgot that I pass by almost every
> day. On the border of Andersonville and Edgewater,
> right by the fountain on Clark, there's a
> headstone that simply says "Peaches." It's got a
> covered picture on it of a middle-aged lady. I
> think she passed sometime in her 40s. Don't know
> if she's buried on site, but the marker always
> gives me pause when I walk by.

--“Peaches” was a woman who worked for (perhaps partly owned) the Gethsemane Garden Center which runs along Clark street just opposite the fountain. It seems that Gethsemane has been landscaping and maintaining the median strip on that part of Clark, including the triangle wedged between Clark and Ashland where there has long stood a veterans memorial obelisk. Gethsemane may have some sort of agreement with the city concerning the landscaping (and believe me – no one in the neighborhood is complaining. Anyone who ever goes by there will understand). Shortly after Peaches died (maybe ten years ago) the fountain appeared with the memorial plaque. I don’t know much more about her, but I’m sure the people at Gethsemane would be happy to give some info.

AD:

Posted by: tomc ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:02AM

RUMOR HAS IT THAT THERE IS THE GRAVE OF A REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIER FENCED OFF NEAR 91ST AND COMMERCIAL. SOUTH CHICAGO AVENUE CROSSES THIS INTERSECTION. THIS WOULD,IN FACT, BE THE SOUTHEAST SIDE. GOOD HUNTING!

Tom C (The Kid From Woodlawn).

AD:

Posted by: randoymwords ()
Date: February 06, 2013 01:40AM

The writer Eugene Field is buried behind the Church of The Holy Comforter in Kenilworth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randoymwords/5992124171/

I also recommend the Daggit family cemetery in Highland Park. It's on Lake/Cook road just east of the Metra line:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randoymwords/sets/72157627717153482/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 03:02PM by randoymwords.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: February 06, 2013 10:28AM

randoymwords Wrote:
> The writer Eugene Field is buried beyond the
> Church of The Holy Comforter in Kenilworth:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/randoymwords/84492726
> 48/
>
> I also recommend the Daggit family cemetery in
> Highland Park. It's on Lake/Cook road just east of
> the Metra line:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/randoymwords/sets/721
> 5762771715348

First link leads one to a photo of a service station close to Wrigley Field.

Second link seems OK.

AD:

Posted by: randoymwords ()
Date: February 07, 2013 03:01PM

ah, fixed it, thanks. the service station is another thread...

AD:

Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 03, 2013 01:13PM

re: Zirngibl (sp!) when I worked at Chicago Historical (1970-86) I got a call from a Dr. who had a daguerrotype to sell of the old soldier buried amidst the junkyard. He wanted $10,000 for it and within a week wasn't answering any returned calls. Sigh...Also there's this ongoing question: What happened to all the family burials on farmland before the era of municipal territories? Stories abound of burials near 100th and Beverly (the Wilcox ram) the old dutch cemetery @ 107th and Michigan (many bodies transferred to Mt. Greenwood over the years, but some probably still there!), at least 2 burials on the old Periam Farm 127th and Michigan (the site of Cook County's first orchard founded in 1838) and a possible burial in West Pullman Park near 123rd and Harvard.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: February 16, 2015 02:47AM

There was a lone grave on Willow Rd. in Northbrook. It sat on the north side of Willow Rd. It always amazed my Dad and I. Behind it was a open field at the time, 1970's. We pulled over one day to look at it and the birth was the late 1700's. Well the headstone is gone now with new development. I always wonder what they did with the grave when developing the land?

AD:

Posted by: Luddite ()
Date: February 16, 2015 04:27AM

Boeger-Brinkman Cemetery is in the south parking lot ofYorktown Mall next to Butterfied road. about 1/2 block square and over 100 years old.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: February 18, 2015 03:07PM

I just read about this one. I have been here but not for a while.

Robinson Family Burial Ground

https://chicagohistorytoday.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/chicago-robinson-family-burial-ground/

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact