Empty parking lot west side of Lane Tech Stadium?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Empty parking lot west side of Lane Tech Stadium?
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: June 24, 2011 07:57PM

I was always wondering what was on that slab of concrete next to the stadium and off of Rockwell St. It looks like a parking lot, and according to Historic Aerials, there used to be some sort of a building there, but now, there is just an empty fenced off lot. Is it a part of Lane Tech? What was there, and what happened?

Also I noticed in the 1938 photo of the area, there was some sort of a stadium right along the river. Was that also Lane's stadium, or was it something else? Does anyone have any info on that? I am a Lane Alum and I always wondered how the original plans of Lane Tech would have looked like today if it wasnt for the cutbacks during the Depression.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Empty parking lot west side of Lane Tech Stadium?
Posted by: Aortafan ()
Date: June 26, 2011 03:39PM

From what I remember from the 60's, there was a golf driving range on the west side of the stadium. In the section closer to Addison was the miniature golf course. After that closed, there was a restaurant there, I think it was Sizzler. Didn't last long.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: June 26, 2011 05:54PM

In the 1970's, There was a steak house named The Forge.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: June 26, 2011 06:18PM

The Forge was like a Ponderosa, not upscale, but not fast food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 06:18PM by tomcat630.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: June 26, 2011 07:00PM

Historic Aerials shows what looks like a driving range extending all the way west to the river in 52' and 62'. The 62' view looks like indeed there was a mini golf section closer to Addison. By 72', the range was gone and a restaurant-like facility was in place, with what looks like a newly built road to its immediate west. Hard to say, but it looks like the restaurant vanished either mid or late 90's.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 27, 2011 12:09PM

My old man said that he used to skip class and 'go to the driving range' ( in the early 50s). There was a golf course that was where WGN is now, so I just assumed that's what he was talking about. But the driving range makes a lot more sense.

Would that other stadium-type building in the 1938 aerial have been a part of Riverview?

Here's an aerial view from the south from Life Magazine (date on caption is definitely wrong though):
[url=http://www.life.com/image/92353363]Lane Tech & Riverview[/url]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 27, 2011 12:13PM

Here's the lowdown on the other stadium - it was Riverview Speedway:

[url=http://www.kalracing.com/Autoracing/riverview_speedway_story.htm]Riverview Speedway 1936-1942[/url]

That is one incredibly short track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 12:14PM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:19PM

wow..great find, as usual

the article you linked mentioned it was Midget Racing, (midget cars, not drivers), which would explain the short track.

I found that the Lane Tech stadium was built in 1940 by the WPA. If the racing track ran until 1942, I'm assuming it closed when the stadium was completed and in use by the HS.

interesting to note that the 52' view of the stadium shows a baseball diamond in place at the north end, with traces of the football yard lines evidenced as well. Strange. Must have been an easy home run to left or right field.

AD:

Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: July 07, 2011 04:29PM

Thank you all very much for the information! Its amazing how the track for racing was right next to it. And you guys did help in unmasking the mystery for me, the empty lot next to Lane. I always thought it was a part of Lane Tech. I love finding such nuggets of interest!

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: April 23, 2015 06:56PM

in the mid-'60s when i started LTHS i'd sometimes play that miniature golf course immediately west of the stadium on addison, with my buddy johnny c. after last class of the day. as far as mini-golf courses go it was a bit better than many others we thought. in the early '70s it was gone though, and I remember an allstate insurance company estimate/adjuster building going up right about there

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 03:38PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: April 28, 2015 06:37PM

Windy City golf course was on the north side of Addison directly across from Lane. Had a 6' wooden fence all along the place but from the upper floors of Lane you could watch the golfers across the street. Riverview Speedway was already closed when i went there but the Greyhound roller coaster went north almost to the Speedway until the park closed. I think the name was changed to the Comet. Upper floor of Lane had great views of a lot of Riverview. Graduated there in 1951.

AD:

Date: April 28, 2015 07:27PM

not the north side of Addison st but the south side of addison

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 28, 2015 08:05PM

It was a driving range on the north side of Addison in 1972, not a golf course per say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 08:22PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: April 28, 2015 11:27PM

The driving range was next to the lane stadium on the South side of Addison. The golf Course, Windy City, was on the North side directly across from Lane. It was taken over when WGN built their new studio over on Waveland.I think you guys are getting old ???
Geo.

AD:

Date: April 29, 2015 11:59AM

the WGN studios (@ 2501 W. Bradley Pl, not waveland) were built in 1959 (not '72)

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 29, 2015 02:09PM

Ok I see now. The golf course was there back in 1952 from what I see on the Historicaerials photo on the north side.

AD:

Date: April 29, 2015 08:18PM

Bradley Place address is correct, but you entered the Golf Course on Waveland.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact