Jack In The Box

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jack In The Box
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2011 03:11AM

I miss there tacos . They were great , They came in two sizes . Plus there other food was good too . I miss them they were in chicago back in the late 1970's in chicago . I remember one on the corner of milwaukee and Pulaski rd . Im sure there are more locations that were in chicago . I also remember one in Little Village By goldblatts .

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Jack In The Box
Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: June 04, 2011 03:16AM

two words: st louis.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2011 04:19AM

I know that and out west. But I don't want to travel out west or too st louis . I want them to reopen in the chicagoland area .

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: June 04, 2011 10:20AM

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 10:36AM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: June 05, 2011 08:05PM

There was one on Cicero nr Dakin (S of Irving Park), Fullerton nr Kimball, Chicago nr Michigan, 10000 S.Western, 7000 block of W.North Av in Oak Park.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: June 05, 2011 10:06PM

I seem to remember some sort of trouble ( food poisoning?) with Jack in the Box. They still exist but not in this area. Too much competition? Dunno.

Here's a straight dope thread on the subject.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=372280

AD:

Posted by: shoreline ()
Date: June 06, 2011 12:42AM

I stopped into a Jack in the Box south of Los Angeles a few years ago. Little has changed from my recollection of the fare served at the location at Ridge and Clark just west of Senn HIgh School in the 1970s.

AD:

Date: June 06, 2011 10:47AM

I had deleted my post on this thread in protest, when I saw how the original poster of this thread had use very foul language on a different post towards b.a hoarder.

But since he/she is now banned from this forum, and this thread was not deleted and people are posting. For the wonderful folks here, I'll put it back:

There was a Jack in The Box on the corner of Montrose and California, it caught fire and never reopened. The building sat abandoned for about a year and then demolished.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: June 06, 2011 01:54PM

222, wow that sucks, I had no idea that that happened.

B.A. don't let it get to you. There are quacks on every internet forum. Actually this is the most tame forum I have visited!

AD:

Date: June 06, 2011 02:38PM

Yeah, It made me mad! It was totally uncalled for, heck, I know more things about people on this forum, than some people I know in person. You guys are almost like "family" LOL! But yes this forum is usually very pleasant!

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: June 06, 2011 06:58PM

Frankly, everyone I've met in person from this forum, as well as all the FC staff, are really great people that share a common interest.

And on a hot summer day such as this one, I wouldn't mind having a cold one with any of them.

I hope to meet more of you as time goes on.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: June 07, 2011 12:45AM

Wow, thanks for all the support, it's much appreciated. I just saw these posts now and felt my thanks were in order.
No Frank, I didn't let him get to me, but of course I was surprised by his actions. All the great people here and the terrific knowledge base they share make this one of the best 'sites bar none. Thanks also to our moderators for bringing us all together.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: June 07, 2011 12:51AM

ours was the one on archer and narragansett. the building's still there, has been various incarnations of banks. wonder if it still smells like Jumbo Jacks in there.

their tacos were and always will be awesome.

AD:

Date: June 07, 2011 12:27PM

We have Jack in the Box here in Louisiana, next time I eat there it will be "for all my homies in the Chi" LOL!

AD:

Date: June 07, 2011 03:19PM

I've heard of some story. At the Jack-in-the-Box on Fullerton nr Kimball. This I heard took place in 1973. A customer was so irate at the muffled sound relay system, That he literally punched the translite Jack & It shattered. Wow, Talk about "Anger Management", Gee whiz.......

Even if i'm not a fan of such, If forced for some oddball reason. Maybe only in some extremes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 02:18AM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: June 07, 2011 03:38PM

We had a Jack in the Box frisbee when I was a kid - I always figured it came from visits to Cali, but maybe not.....

AD:

Posted by: chipandkathy ()
Date: June 08, 2011 09:39AM

There was one out in Lombard, on south Main Street, in the early 70's. I worked there when I was in high school. They were growing the chain back then and I remember going to a regional meeting at another old landmark, Shipwreck Kelly's.

Funny you should mention the tacos, they were deep fried and I don't know anyone else ever did that.

I still have a box of memorabilia from them...some of the toys they used as promotions.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: June 10, 2011 03:25AM

Used to go to the Dakin and Cicero alot with my cousin in mid 70's. There was also one at Kimball and Irving Park.

Jack's did not pull out of Chicago from food poisoning, that occured in LA in the 90's.

The closest one to Chicagoland is in Litchfield IL on I-55

AD:

Posted by: tseals ()
Date: June 11, 2011 11:19PM

Jack In the Box had one at the N/E corner of California & Montrose. I liked the breakfast jack sandwich.

AD:

Posted by: spotifyjoe23 ()
Date: July 29, 2011 07:36PM

"Funny you should mention the tacos, they were deep fried and I don't know anyone else ever did that."

Go to Duc's Red Hots on 600 N. Ashland. They fry their tacos too.

AD:

Date: July 30, 2011 02:36AM

When Jack I-T-B was here, they were owned by Ralston Purina and were going national. Then when RP sold the chain, they cut back to the western states. Southern IL is really the start of the 'southwest US'.

AD:

Posted by: rfranger ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:00AM

There were 2 near my old neighborhood - Central and Fullerton (site of an old Henry's drive in) and North Ave. near Oak Park Ave (site of an old Cock Robin ice cream shop).

We still make Jack In The Box our first stop when we go to Vegas.

Try the tacos at Burger King - they are deep fried and similar the ones at Jack In The Box.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:37PM

There was a JIB at 62nd or 61st and Western. Weren't they the chain that started the drive-thru concept. I remember stopping there on my way homme from work on hot days with an un-airconditioned car for a Coke or some other cooling drink. It was easy in and out, and I don't remember the other fast food places having that luxury.

AD:

Posted by: telefrank ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:22AM

Not sure if they still serve them but Burger King had tacos that were just like Jack in the box fried. They are bigger so they have a little more grease.

AD:

Date: March 09, 2012 12:45PM

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Jack In The Box makes a comeback someday in the Chicago metropolitan area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 12:46PM by Chipast.

AD:

Date: March 12, 2012 04:03AM

I like to go to Jack when I visit folks in Phoenix. They even have one in Maui, but hopefully will join Sonic and Culvers here.

AD:

Posted by: snappytom ()
Date: March 14, 2012 09:31PM

Used to be one at Addison and Western, across from Lane Tech.

Deep Fried tacos with a stringy meat that we always joked was Horse ....

AD:

Posted by: chipandkathy ()
Date: March 19, 2012 10:29AM

LOL. Since they were owned by Ralston Purina at the time, we had a lot of jokes about the meat. In reality, they used South American beef back in the 70's.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:31PM

Forget the tacos. It was all about the Breakfast Jack

AD:

Date: March 29, 2012 12:39PM

That was good too, Though the burgers weren't as good.

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact