WW II Memorials

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
WW II Memorials
Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: May 25, 2011 06:21PM

Does anyone else remember the memorials that were placed on the corner of a block where a serviceman formerly lived when killed in WW II? For obvious reasons they used to be fairly common. They usually consisted of a cement base with a "V" in the middle and a flagpole. There was a sign attached to the pole at about head height with the name of the serviceman or, in some cases servivemen, along with the place and date of death. There may have been other information.

I have not seen one in a number of years. The last one I saw was on Western at around 33rd or 34th, on the northeast corner. I do not know if that still stands. They were generally tended by the decead's family, but were placed bly the city, I believe.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: WW II Memorials
Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: May 26, 2011 10:01AM

I also remember seeing in my neighborjood back in the 60's a black and white sign with a serviceman's name attached to lightposts. I don't know from what war or who was responsible or any other details. There may have been one of those WW II or possibly WWI memorials at one time at the corner or Webster ad Hoyne but it is long gone. I like the idea of honoring our fallen military men more so than all the city endorsed brown signs honoring politicians annd entertainers.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. ()
Date: May 26, 2011 10:10AM

There was one of these memorials exactly as you describe in a vacant lot on the northeast corner of 44th and S. Honore Street. Every Memorial Day, the Honor Guard from the V.F.W. post 5216 located at 4325 Honore Street would have a service at that location with color guard and a 21 gun salute. As a kid, we used to collect the spent shells after the salute. There is a house at that location now.
Steve B.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 26, 2011 11:54AM

This negative is for sale on eBay:

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/4x5-Negative-1961-WWII-Memorial-Flowers-Planted-/260709010185?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3cb377cb09]1961 WWII Memorial Flowers Planted, Archer & Leavitt[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: May 26, 2011 02:15PM

Here is a thread where we discussed "Victory Gardens" here on FC. I even posted a few pictures.

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/1/3190/40th_ward_ww2_chicago_victory_gardens____again_

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: May 26, 2011 08:01PM

It appears some of that memorial at Archer and Leavitt is still in existence...

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=archer+and+leavitt,+chicago&amp;aq=&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=28.805654,81.474609&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=S+Archer+Ave+%26+S+Leavitt+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60609&amp;ll=41.828879,-87.680088&amp;spn=0,0.019891&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.828797,-87.680228&amp;panoid=zwxwzqh4PsOIXjca0KI7lQ&amp;cbp=12,186.14,,0,2.1&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=archer+and+leavitt,+chicago&amp;aq=&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=28.805654,81.474609&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=S+Archer+Ave+%26+S+Leavitt+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60609&amp;ll=41.828879,-87.680088&amp;spn=0,0.019891&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.828797,-87.680228&amp;panoid=zwxwzqh4PsOIXjca0KI7lQ&amp;cbp=12,186.14,,0,2.1" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

EDMphotos has had several victory garden photos on Ebay. Here is another from 1942 at Augusta and Kedzie...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/5762624133/] [/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52922702@N03/5762624133/]Augusta and Kedzie in Chicago, July 25, 1942.[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/52922702@N03/]Rustymuscle[/url], on Flickr

AD:

Posted by: tim62b ()
Date: May 29, 2011 02:04AM

This is I believe what you are talking about:

AD:

Posted by: justmacs06 ()
Date: June 14, 2011 02:02AM

I seen one of them memorials on the corner of Artesian and grand ave, at the base is a star and v with a flag pole.

link for picture.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=496+n.+artesian+chicago,+il&aq=&sll=41.890823,-87.687914&sspn=0.001044,0.002411&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=496+N+Artesian+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois+60612&ll=41.890825,-87.687936&spn=0.008354,0.01929&z=16

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: June 14, 2011 01:16PM

There was one (may still be in fact) in front of the building (last on the odd side of street) at 56th and Blackstone in Hyde Park. In fact I remember several all over the neighborhood - most of probably been removed since they were pretty deteriorated back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 01:18PM by davey7.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: June 14, 2011 02:10PM

My parish has plaques on the wall listng members of the parish killed in WWII. I've never counted but there must be at least 50 names from one parish. If 50 people may have died from one parish, does anybody have any information as to how many service people from Chicago died during the war? Did the city ever have any official recognition or records? I don't recall seeing any big city sponsored memorial, but is there anywhere that the city at least maintained a list or maybe one of the newspapers who may have published an official list? I know there are websites that list WWII casualties but not necessarily by city. It is sad that a city this size would have left memorials to individual parishes or neighborhoods as mention in the previous postings and now almost all are gone or forgotten! Even at my parish, the names listed on the walls are just names forgotten as the familes died off or the majority of the families moved to suburbia.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: August 02, 2011 04:10AM

Tim62b - I believe that is what jak378 is thinking of too. My grandparents lived at Augusta and Laramie in the '70's and there was a bare, stripped cement column that had once been one of those monuments still standing along Augusta there in the '70's. That would have been a few blocks west of the one pictured in your post.

I believe there is one surviving example of these memorials, along Irving Park Road just west of Broadway and east of Graceland Cemetery, on the south side of Irving. It is very well-kept and sometimes has flowers left on it. It appears to have been restored somewhat.

My dad told me that these were erected outside the homes of soldiers who had died in the war. What a devastating thing to have this constant reminder in front of these homes, and even more devastating later, when the neighborhood "changed," the physical tie between the memorial and the family home was severed, and then the monuments later were abandoned, stripped, and destroyed.

AD:

Date: August 02, 2011 01:33PM

Yes, I brought this up because when I was a kid in the 40's and 50's they were much in evidence all over the city. I remember them in the 2 neighborhoods that I spent time in, Hyde Park and Back of the Yards. Both were well established areas in the 40's so it is logical to assume that many servicemen hailed from these and similar areas, thus the proliferation of the monuments. I don't believe that they were placed in front of the deceased's home, but rather at the nearest corner intersection. I wonder if the city was able to memorialize every killed in action serviceman in this way. As I mentioned in my earlier post, several years ago I happened to see one at 33rd or 34th an Western Ave, not the Boulevard which runs next to the avenue in this area, I don't remember the name on the cross piece, but I am pretty sure it said that he was killed at Pelliliu Island. The next time I am in Chicago, I will make it a point to see if it might still be there.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2011 02:57AM

jak378 - the one I remember near Augusta and Laramie was in the middle of the block, not on a corner, and right in front of a home. The one that is still standing on Irving is also not on a corner.

One of my friends lived at 33rd and Western in the '80's, and I think I remember the one you mentioned there too.

AD:

Date: September 30, 2011 06:17PM

Alas, we just returned fromn 33rd and 34th and Western and the memorial post is gone. It looks like the city removed it to put those red, rubber, or whatever they are at the corner where the post would have been. They were generally in the triangular parkway right at corners. Too bad they didn't keep it there since it is the only one I have seen in many, many years. Oh well.

AD:

Date: October 02, 2011 02:52AM

jak378 - Too bad about the Western memorial post. If you are ever up north, check out the one on Irving west of Broadway (near the Byron's hot dog stand). Last time I checked, it was still there and well-maintained. As I mentioned above, it is not on a corner but in the middle of a block.

AD:

Posted by: Rod Sellers ()
Date: February 24, 2012 04:56PM

There were several different types of WWII memorials. One type, common during the war was, I believe, called an Honor Roll. It listed names of servicemen and women from the block or neighborhood who were serving in the military. If individual was KIA a gold star designation was common. Another type of memorial was erected after the war. It consisted of a metal plaque like the photo in this forum with the name of an individual who had been killed in action. A third type of memorial was set up in an instituion like a church, school, factory, business etc. to commemorate those serving in the military. Our historical society has several photos of some of these various memorials posted on our Facebook group page. Go to Facebook, Southeast Chicago Historical Society group page, photos and scroll down. We also have a booklet from Wisconsin Steel commemorating workers killed during WWII.
http://www.pullman-museum.org/cgi-bin/pvm/newMainRecordDisplayXML.pl?recordid=11041

AD:

Date: February 24, 2012 08:36PM

[b]How about a memorial sculpture of the WW1 Black soulder at 35th & King Drive? There is on it also a list of those who died in battle from the bronzeville area.[/b]You can look it up on Google street view or visit it in person better yet.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact