Illinois Research Hospital

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Illinois Research Hospital
Posted by: Winny ()
Date: April 19, 2011 04:32PM

Can anyone give me some information about Illinois Research Hospital? What kind of hospital was it and where was it located.
Thank you so much.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Illinois Research Hospital
Posted by: Patti ()
Date: April 20, 2011 03:44PM

I have a birth certificate from 1937 which says it's called Research and Educational Hospital and signed by a dr. George Rizek at 1819 W. Polk st., Chicago, IL. I was always told this was Illinois Research hospital and it now appears to be the University of Illinois chicago Medical Center. .

AD:

Posted by: chitownlioness ()
Date: March 04, 2012 12:08AM

I would also like to know the same thing. I was born there agust 1962

AD:

Posted by: PHILC ()
Date: March 04, 2012 01:48PM

Does anyone know of photos of the area around Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets before the Northwest Expressway was built and destroyed much of that area? My grandmother lived about a half block north of Grand on Aberdeen (then known as Curtis) about 1900-1910. I'm sure that years ago I saw a photo of that block at the Chicago History Museum but have been unable to relocate it in recent years.

AD:

Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets
Posted by: PHILC ()
Date: March 04, 2012 01:51PM

Does anyone know of photos of the area around Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets before the Northwest Expressway was built and destroyed much of that area? My grandmother lived about a half block north of Grand on Aberdeen (then known as Curtis) about 1900-1910. I'm sure that years ago I saw a photo of that block at the Chicago History Museum but have been unable to relocate it in recent years.

Just posted this in the wrong place. I hope this will be a little clearer.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: March 04, 2012 06:25PM

I believe that the hospital, Illinois Research, was part of the University of Illinois hospital system, and although it treated patients with all kinds of problems it was, as the name implies, largely a research institution. It did a lot with polio and cancers of various kinds. My great-grandfather was hospitalized there in the late 40's and into the 50's with prostate cancer, which was nearly incurable at the time. I assume that the University of Illinois Hospitals had a large presence in Chicag was probably because of the large population there. It was at Polk and Wood Streets and was not in any direct way connected to Cook County Hospital. It is now The University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center.

AD:

Posted by: wynn5110 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 02:14PM

I would like to know if anyone love ones was ever admitted into illinois research. My mother was in cook county hospital for kidney falure. She then was transfered to il research where they, i say experimented on her for kidney transplant. They said they had found her a compatible kidneys. I am the oldest and we were so excited for our mother to finally be able to enjoy her life with her children,myself,twin sisters,little brother. I visited her the day of the transplant and wanted to stay in chicago with her. But summer called for me and my family to go to mississippi for the summer. I remember my moms saying when you get home, i will be waitng for you. On the way down there i just had this feeling in my stomach. When we pulled up my grandmothers farm i just knew. i did not get out the car. just that feeling. my aunt and uncle said we have to go back to chicago. We left right away.We arrived and could my aunt saying she did not make it. it killed me inside. Why would a research center do this knowing they dont know if another person organ will work in some with different immune systems would work. Very unprofessional, i say everyone there were guinepigs for experiments.And then they just changed the name to protect there irresposible deeds. That why i think they changed the name. I was told they did these practices with you receiving monies.This was in 1972 july10/1972. Any answers. Thank you .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2013 02:21PM by wynn5110.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:58PM

I can't remember the exact name, but the hospitals became part of UIC when they rebranded from Circle Campus (part of the reason for the name change was the merger of the two campus' into one school which had been separate up until then). They had been part of a state medical school - keep in mind that there still are numerous quasi-affiliated institutions there as well.

"There" being the "west campus" or medical campus, which includes Rush, Cook County and the VA Hospital.

AD:

Posted by: smoss53 ()
Date: December 19, 2013 05:28PM

I am searching for my husband's sister. We have just recently found out that he has a sister. My mother in-law, who's name was Sandra Maria Moss always told my husband that he was an only child. When we looked at his birth certificate closer, we found out that there was another child born before him. However, we did not know if it was a male or female. I contacted the Illinois Department of Public Health, in Sprngfield, IL. to get more information. Successfully, we have just found out the sex and birth date of my husband's sibling. My husband has a sister, who was born at Illinois Research on 4/29/1951. We do not have a name, however, being that my mother in-law, was just 15 years old at the time, she was also a Catholic, we believe that Catholic Charities, had something to do with the adoption. If there is anyone out there, who is looking for their siblings, please feel free to e-mail us at merlinmoss@att.net. We are just so excited, because at least we now know that he has a sister. My husband was born in December of 1953. Please we need your help.

Thank you,

Smoss

AD:

Posted by: mary_defreece ()
Date: December 23, 2014 12:26AM

I just receive my original birth cert. It shows this was the hosp I was born in. Given up for adoption to the Catholic Charities. Original Birth name Goerres.
Birth Cert. Show three siblings. anyone with info email at Nemo1266@aol.com

AD:

Re: Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets
Posted by: gglow ()
Date: December 25, 2014 07:25PM

Try web site whatwasthere.com

AD:

Posted by: mary_defreece ()
Date: April 17, 2015 06:46PM

Research and Education Hospital. It was part of the University of Illinois Research hospitals. This happened in 1911 when the hospital complex took over the park where the Cubs played. The hospital was there until approximately 1980's when it was in bad shape and was replace with the U of I hospital complex of research hospitals. The 7400 block of S. Mays is within the area that the park could have been.

AD:

Posted by: frubette ()
Date: May 07, 2015 06:13PM

I had a patent ductus heart surgery at Illinois Research when I was 5 years old, in 1960. I remember teams of doctors coming into the room I was in and listening to my heartbeat as part of their research studies into my heart deformity. I was there for 2 months and have been fine ever since!

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie ()
Date: July 19, 2015 04:33PM

I remember the Illinois Research Hospital back in 1963-64
I had a cousin age 33 that got polio in Sept. 1963 they put him in an Iron Lung and he stayed there for over 9 months. He was paralyzed from his shoulders down. He went home that way and lived for 16 years. I think he was the last person in Chicago to get polio.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact