Name this business

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Name this business
Posted by: kgamb ()
Date: March 09, 2011 01:16AM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cd4OCFjqdk&playnext=1&list=PL7E9BC768B5593C7E]Here's[/url] a great video of downtown Chicago in 1986 (courtesy of asdTubeU and YouTube.com). Can anyone name the business that appears where Border's on Michigan Avenue was at around 4:28 in the video? If you can't, it's still a great video to watch!

Kelley

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Name this business
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: March 09, 2011 02:25AM

Grace Slick worked for them briefly (in San Francisco). Whatever happened to them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2011 02:28AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: March 09, 2011 02:27AM

Meant to add, the sculpture visible at 3:06 is now located on Ohio & Orleans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2011 02:31AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: March 09, 2011 10:40PM

Another victim of macy's. I bought a swimsuit at I Magnin once (on sale!).
It was a very chic store. Another one that is missed.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2011 12:12PM

Wow, thanks WayOutWardell and bwalsh. Here's a [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/65359853@N00/4651719011/]photo[/url] of I Magnin when it was Bonwit Teller (courtesy of PatricksMercy).

AD:

Posted by: nancybc ()
Date: March 10, 2011 01:55PM

Kelley,
The other night I was trying to think of the name of the department store on Michigan that my favorite cousin loved.It was Bonwit Teller. I tried to find a picture so am glad that you uncovered one!We would occasionally have lunch at Rickarts(Spelling?) near the Tower. Does anyone know of another department store near there on Michigan Avenue in the 40's or 50's? I seem to remember one near the fountain.
Thanks for the video! It was like taking that breezy walk all over again.
Nancy

AD:

Date: March 10, 2011 05:54PM

Rickett's was at 103 East Chicago. Fellow Forgotten Chicago forum member, Captain54, posted a few screen grabs from "M Squad" which features stills of Rickett's. See the thread [url=http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/1/3516/_m-squad____filmed_in_chicago__1957-1960]here[/url].

I'm not sure about another department store (are you talking about the South side of Michigan Avenue, or near the fountain across from Water Tower?

AD:

Posted by: nancybc ()
Date: March 13, 2011 09:51PM

Kelley,

I know it was on the west side- same side as the tower. The fountain is on the east side. It was a store that had upscale woman's fashions and accessories Perhaps someone with a 50's phone book can track it down.
Thanks!
Nancy

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact