Burling Street and Borders

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Burling Street and Borders
Posted by: kgamb ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:55PM

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I stumbled across this amazing site! Glad to be here.

I have two questions I'm hoping you can answer (two for *now* - I have so many!):

1. Does anyone have photos of Burling Street pre-1990? There is a corner location that's now condos, but the storefront is still there. It's at the far North end of Burling Street, just short of North Avenue. I heard it was a bar at one point. Any information/photos would be great!

2. Sad that Border's Bookstore is closing, but I guess that gives me more motivation to look on this site for what I need. :) I'm wondering if anyone knows what used to occupy the North and Halsted Border's location? I heard it was some sort of night club.

More to come, but in the meantime, thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Burling Street and Borders
Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: February 20, 2011 07:00PM

During the 1970's-90's, A newer YMCA facility-Which moved from the N.Ogden location-Just S of W.North Ave was there. Before that was an old 4-story bldg on the SE corner.

AD:

Re: Burling Street and Borders
Posted by: kgamb ()
Date: February 20, 2011 07:09PM

Thanks, chipast! Wish the Y was still there instead of the expensive, crappy gyms around that area!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact