Masonic Temple of 1925

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Masonic Temple of 1925
Posted by: Artista ()
Date: January 17, 2011 07:27PM

There is a building at the North East corner of Harding and Lemoyne It has a corner stone that says it was laid by the Masonic Fraternity in 1925.I grew up on that block and I had only known it as the NorthWest southern Baptist church, at least from the mid 70s. Can any of our dedicated pros here dig anything up on this? Maybe photos? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Masonic Temple of 1925
Date: January 20, 2011 01:36PM

AD:

Date: January 20, 2011 01:37PM

AD:

Date: January 20, 2011 01:37PM

Here are recent photos of the building

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 08:30AM

Many masonic temples exist as churches bingo halls, what have you. Have one around the corner from me in Cicero @26th and Austin. Several others exist, Damen just south of Irving Park, Lawrence and Leland which is a frame construction with a large frontage. My grandfather was a mason. Don't know for sure but guessing by the many buildings left behind, the membership dwindled down to the point where the funds weren't there to maintain or hold title to these structures. The one on Damen was a catering co for years. Ill have to see what is is now. pass it all the time haven't paid attention, I know shame on me!! There are several more that I see on the north side, maybe I should keep a log. Usually they were red brick bank like buildings owing to the former power of the Masons.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 08:30AM

Many masonic temples exist as churches bingo halls, what have you. Have one around the corner from me in Cicero @26th and Austin. Several others exist, Damen just south of Irving Park, Lawrence and Leland which is a frame construction with a large frontage. My grandfather was a mason. Don't know for sure but guessing by the many buildings left behind, the membership dwindled down to the point where the funds weren't there to maintain or hold title to these structures. The one on Damen was a catering co for years. Ill have to see what is is now. pass it all the time haven't paid attention, I know shame on me!! There are several more that I see on the north side, maybe I should keep a log. Usually they were red brick bank like buildings owing to the former power of the Masons.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: January 04, 2013 02:59PM

There was a place right up the street from there on Harding that fascinated me. Back in college, I was studying Russian language, and there was a small bookshop on the 1500 block of N. Harding called M. Dolgich Book Store. It was a fascinating place, crammed full of books, and other Russian foods and delicacies. Years later, I tried to see if they were still open, and while I think they moved to Menard just north of Milwaukee, I think they have subsequently closed down.

The Masonic Hall on Damen just south of Irving used to be Johnny Wiegelt's, and it closed when Wiegelt died in the 1980's. I had a friend that used to work there part time as a bartender. The DANK Haus at 4740 N. Western also used to be a huge Masonic hall, but has been owned by the Deutche Amerika National Kongress for years now.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact