Strange Church Steeple

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Strange Church Steeple
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: December 29, 2010 08:31PM

Hopefully, you great folks can help. I have a faint memory from early childhood (during the mid 1970s) of a north side church that had a steeple or belltower on which was mounted a statue of a hand with an index finger pointing upward. I seem to remember passing by it a lot, so must have been in the neighborhoods we lived in around then (Granville & Clark, then Keeler & Montrose), and I also remember that nobody could explain it to me.

Asking relatives has proved fruitless, although an aunt was convinced I was thinking of the hand statue that used to hang near the entrance of the old Thorek Hospital on Montrose. Which I was not. If it helps, I think this was a red-brick church building, not necessarily tall and it may have had a neon cross sign hanging on the front.

Google has only turned up one image, of a church in Georgia with a pointing-finger-steeple.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Strange Church Steeple
Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: December 31, 2010 06:52PM

Here's some info I found on a church in Cincinnati with the same type steeple, perhaps the one you saw would be this denomination - might narrow it down a bit:

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Philippus_United_Church_of_Christ

It was originally a German church. Thanks to a Flickr photo that someone recently posted, I saw the steeple and remembered your question.

AD:

Date: January 01, 2011 03:30AM

Thank you! That does help narrow it down. I have a few more family members to ask; hopefully I can at least pin down the neighborhood.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: January 01, 2011 06:18PM

"A hand on a steeple – a finger lifted heavenward, symbolic of the church’s ministry of pointing the way to God; pointing the lost to the Savior; pointing the Christian to God’s full measure of love; pointing the discouraged to the source of peace; and pointing the indifferent to the One he has forgotten. A hand on a steeple – reminding its members of a responsibility and a glorious privilege – symbolic of our hands dedicated to point the way to God through our Lord, Jesus Christ."

I found this on a site for a Baptist church in Georgia - maybe the one you found. So, the German church theory is probably not going to help after all. Well, one thing for sure, it wasn't a Catholic church! So, it had to be a Protestant church of some denomination. Wonder if it's still there? You've definitely aroused my curiosity.

AD:

Posted by: adgorn ()
Date: January 12, 2011 04:18PM

Thorek: you mean Irving, not Montrose

AD:

Date: January 13, 2011 04:33PM

I can't believe it, but I found it!

The pointing finger is on the top of the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1500 W. Elmdale. It's clearly visible in Google Street View.

The family members I asked couldn't remember the pointing hand...and the ones who [i]would[/i] remember are now dead. Ah, the wonders of the Internet!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 01:45AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: Artista ()
Date: January 13, 2011 05:26PM

Wardell first of all ,,great to 'see' you. sorry that i was away..secondly GREAT FIND ..i cant wait to see this steeple.

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Sauganash ()
Date: January 14, 2011 12:08AM

Cleanup ... The hospital at Rockwell and Montrose, featuring the hand sculpture made of chrome car bumpers, was Forkosh.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2011 01:44AM

Johnny Sauganash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cleanup ... The hospital at Rockwell and Montrose,
> featuring the hand sculpture made of chrome car
> bumpers, was Forkosh.

Excellent, thanks for that Johnny!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 01:52AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: January 14, 2011 08:35PM

I remember the hand, when did they take it down?

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:43PM

I lived 500 feet from there for six years and never noticed the finger before!!! I know people who got married there (Sweden born Swedes, of course).

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact