What happened to buildings between S. Damen and S. Ashland and Roosevelt Road and 15th Street??

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What happened to buildings between S. Damen and S. Ashland and Roosevelt Road and 15th Street??
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 11:11PM

Hello folks, first time posting here. I very much enjoy the site, and I am I HUGE fan of Chicago history. Thanks to Forgotten Chicago, I find myself pointing out things to friends and family all the time, about historical places they dont even know exist!

Anyways, back to my question! I was going down westbound Roosevelt Rd today, and when I came up to Ashland and then Wood Street, I noticed a whole empty set of blocks. Then looking it up on google maps and then Historic Aerials, I noticed that its an entire neighborhood that is gone! What happened to all those homes? Why were they all knocked down and the area left vacant?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: What happened to buildings between S. Damen and S. Ashland and Roosevelt Road and 15th Street??
Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: November 23, 2010 03:38AM

That's a VERY good question! I will have to look into it and see what exactly happened to this neighborhood.

I can tell you for sure that the neighborhood was a Dutch colony in the first half of the 20th Century. Quite a fascinating place.

Here is an amazing story that was linked by FranCarmen from this site describing this EXACT neighborhood by a man who grew up in the neighborhood. He goes through every detail of life in this small Chicago Dutch settlement.

http://www.stobfamily.com/henry_stob/summoning_up_remembrance/summoning_up_remembrance_chapter2.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 04:10AM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Re: What happened to buildings between S. Damen and S. Ashland and Roosevelt Road and 15th Street??
Date: November 23, 2010 04:07AM

I spent some time stydying the historic ariels and wow! This whole little neighborhood started falling apart in the 1960s and from 1988 to 2007 was the worst. The buildings must have been EXTREMELY blighted because every year there were more and more gone. It's sad that these neighborhoods were literally torn to pieces by the people that inhabited them.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:24AM

WOW! When my aunt and uncle lived on 19th st back in the 70's I remember that neighborhood! I remember it being kind of run down, but wow, it's all gone now. What I find odd is there are parking meters on the deserted streets! (at least they where there when Google did street view) Does any one really park there? Maybe for the hospitals?

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: November 23, 2010 12:19PM

Fascinating story on the Stob family history! I had no idea that area was once a Dutch neighborhood. Perhaps the U of I Medical Center complex has something to do with the final clearing out of this area but am just guessing here. I attended the University of Illinois back in the 80's and had always heard about how parts of the Italian neighborhood it occupied were cleared away when that campus was built. Would love to find out more about this deserted corner of the city.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2010 01:31PM

A bit of info...

[url=http://www.uic.edu/master_plan/Documents/IMD_Master_Plan_Update_04.pdf]Illinois Medical District - District Development Plan[/url]

[url=http://www.imdc.org/about/our-history]History of Illinois Medical District - District act of 1941[/url]

AD:

Date: November 23, 2010 03:21PM

shekaago Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fascinating story on the Stob family history! I
> had no idea that area was once a Dutch
> neighborhood. Perhaps the U of I Medical Center
> complex has something to do with the final
> clearing out of this area but am just guessing
> here. I attended the University of Illinois back
> in the 80's and had always heard about how parts
> of the Italian neighborhood it occupied were
> cleared away when that campus was built. Would
> love to find out more about this deserted corner
> of the city.

shekaago, I don't think the University had anything to do with it. I think it just deteriorated and deteriorated until there was nothing left.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2010 04:38PM

BrewynFrank -- I think that yes, you are right, the neighborhood had been steadily deteriorating over the years but that the final blow was because of the University gobbling up land for their Medical District development.

[url=http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/house-on-the-rocks/Content?oid=892379]1996 Chicago Reader Article[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 04:47PM by shekaago.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2010 05:19PM

I think shekaago is on to something, according to the article the Illinois Medical District can claim eminent domain up to the tracks. from the article:

"In early November the medical district held a public meeting where it announced its "master plan" for future changes in the area. These included a proposed "district development area" that would run from Roosevelt to the district's southern border, a part of the district that had never before been slated for development."

It looks like this commission has had it eye on this land for awhile, Seems fishy to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 05:21PM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 05:50PM

UIC has been redeveloping it (I worked on the West Campus when this started to really accelerate in the mid/late 90's) slowly. There were still a lot of random buildings left around Damen, but to the east there were more buildings, which have all been demo'd since. There were some nice old rowhouses which could have been rehabbed and served as catalysts for redevelopment, but weren't. I was always told that the University had first rights on property and was preventing/stymieing development there. I suspect that this stopped individuals from rehabbing or rebuilding on property there (i.e. couldn't get loans or building permits on the land or the University would buy them out at a discount price). My boss had lived in Little Italy in the 60's - near the public housing garden apartments on Taylor and had really interesting, if ugly, stories about the neighborhood and racial strife along Roosevelt during the riot era.

I've noticed new construction, mainly large developer projects (such as the strip malls on Ashland) over the past 5-6 years. Daley has also had a very aggressive demolition program and a lot of Victorian and Edwardian Chicago has been lost over the past 20 years, particularly in the mid/late 90s and early aughts.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2010 12:31AM

Just read most of the Stob family story, very fascinating how he remembered names and places. The way he described his homes and other places was amazing, I could picture in my mind what they looked like. It was almost like being there!

AD:

Date: November 24, 2010 01:22AM

Wow Skekaago, your article basically solved this mystery. The medical district was "supposedy" supposed to develop the property. As a result another Chicago neighborhood bit the dust.

That name for the neighborhood was neat....."the valley."

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:23PM

Gee, I could remember that one BB-Q rib joynt called Rib World on W.Roosevelt, Just west of the Douglas Park "L", With the late 1950's-early 1960's neon sign similar to Treasure Chest on W.Randlph which existed long ago-Alco Drugs at 35th & King Dr which is also gone-Show of Shows on S.Cicero in the seedy adult strip of Cicero which also apparently vanished. The rib place is gone as well. As is that 3-story building on the SE corner of Roosevelt & Damen, With a tavern, Which had the late 1960's-early 1970's white background Budweiser King of Beers plastic neon sign. Then some other 3-story building, In back, Which I believe had Leader Cleaners or some other cleaners with an "L", In script form in a a blue circle, But with white lettering.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 01:23AM by Chipast.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2010 11:31PM

It is really sad to see so many places lost and gone forever... Especially when a whole neighborhood vanishes.

Thanks again, Berwyn Frank, for the article on the Stob Family. It's a wonderfully detailed written time capsule.

And thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and memories of "The Valley."

Happy Turkey Day!

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: November 25, 2010 06:19PM

I just read that article about the Medical District and the Guys. Anyone know if they are still there or if their land has since been taken over and their house knocked down? Although I really do understand what the people from the medical district mean regarding developers, that doesn't make it right that they take over so much land and push so many people out of their homes.

AD:

Posted by: tseals ()
Date: November 26, 2010 04:38PM

15 & Ashland was marked for the 12th District Police station; However that was put on hold. Costco wanted that area, weather it will happen or not- it's all politics.

AD:

Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: November 28, 2010 04:57PM

It amazes me how things like this have happened in Chicago, and all around. Its a wonder nothing has been done there since the knockdowns!

AD:

Date: November 28, 2010 09:47PM

Well, look what happened to Maxwell St. At least that was developed, but it seems once they put their eyes on something. They will get it by hook or crook.

AD:

Date: November 28, 2010 10:33PM

I was looking at the historic aerials web site, and noticed Addams Park was built after 1952 from the CPD web site:
Addams Park

History
In the late 1940s, Addams Park's Near West Side neighborhood was decaying and congested. The Chicago Park District established the much-needed park in 1946, part of a ten-year plan to increase recreational opportunities in under-served neighborhoods after World War II. Land acquisition proved problematic, however, and demolition of the site's dilapidated buildings did not begin until 1952. The park district installed a swimming pool in 1967. Operated jointly with Medill Elementary School, the park provides a broad range of activities for the children of the adjacent Abbott Homes public housing project.

The park's name honors Jane Addams (1860-1935), the world-renowned social reformer who devoted her life to serving the economic and social needs of the Near West Side's disadvantaged immigrant community. Addams' base of operations was her Hull House on nearby Halsted Street, one of North America's first settlement houses. In addition to her work in Chicago, Addams actively promoted national legal reforms, including tenement-house regulation, factory inspection, and workers' compensation. Addams was awarded the 1931 Nobel Peace Prize for her efforts.
http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/parks.detail/object_id/2419331A-799A-4881-A1CB-3ED5AD685BB3.c

So this poor ex-Dutch neighborhood was falling apart by the 40's. Much earlier than I thought!

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: November 30, 2010 02:59AM

Is the area around Roosevelt & Damen considered The Valley? There's a small cluster of houses around 13th and Oakley - they used to be obscured by a grey industrial building that's since been demolished. Interestingly, there's another small group of identical houses around 41st and Lake Park (built by the same developer).

AD:

Date: January 22, 2011 11:18PM

WAYOUT
The valley was on Adams & Monroe West of DAMEN. It was the mid level housing projects that were next to the United Center.

AD:

Posted by: nvaughn ()
Date: February 11, 2011 11:10PM

This may interest some of you:

[url=http://chicagoist.com/2011/02/10/found_photos_valley_project_1971_pa_1.php#]http://chicagoist.com/2011/02/10/found_photos_valley_project_1971_pa_1.php#[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/vouchey/sets/72157625828492479/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/vouchey/sets/72157625828492479/[/url]

Photos of the now-vacant lots of the "Ogden to Ashland / Roosevelt Road to 15th" area circa 1971 when there were still buildings. Street signs are visible in some of the pictures as are bits of the UIC hospital buildings in the background, but other than that the photos bear little resemblance to the area now.

AD:

Date: February 12, 2011 01:51AM

Absolutely AMAZING photos! Thank you for linking them!

AD:

Date: February 12, 2011 03:15PM

Great photos by your dad. There is one with one women & two men standing next to each other near a store. The man in the orange shirt appears to a have a gun tucked in his right waistband under his shirt. Great pic. I worked that are in the late 80's thru 2007. Watched the area change. intersting.

AD:

Date: February 13, 2011 10:31PM

Wonderful photos! Thanks so much for the link.

AD:

Date: February 14, 2011 04:21PM

tseals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos by your dad. There is one with one
> women & two men standing next to each other near a
> store. The man in the orange shirt appears to a
> have a gun tucked in his right waistband under his
> shirt. Great pic. I worked that are in the late
> 80's thru 2007. Watched the area change.
> intersting.

Thanks for pointing that out, I would have most likely missed that, but it sure looks like he's "packing heat"

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 02:50AM

I looked it over a couple times and I don't think he's packing. I just think part of his coat is stuck in his shirt.

AD:

Posted by: operafan ()
Date: March 05, 2011 01:07AM

i think some of this is related to the UIC expansion or as a jaded friend of mine says"more land grab". probably when the housing market was hot developers cast an eye towards this area.
i have been around this area a great part of my life and am amazed by what changes there are.
sometimes i go down roosevelt road going east and i think i have landed on another planet because it sure is different.
has anyone noticed on the side streets in the area between ashland and wood south of roosevelt-the number of parking meters on these empty streets?

AD:

Date: March 08, 2011 05:55PM

Posted by: operafan ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:07PM

i think some of this is related to the UIC expansion or as a jaded friend of mine says"more land grab". probably when the housing market was hot developers cast an eye towards this area.
i have been around this area a great part of my life and am amazed by what changes there are.
sometimes i go down roosevelt road going east and i think i have landed on another planet because it sure is different.
has anyone noticed on the side streets in the area between ashland and wood south of roosevelt-the number of parking meters on these empty streets

I was told, by a source, that the reason all of those parking meters are on the side streets south of roosevelt was because:: When the mayor's people were looking to 'sell out our parking spots' they had to bump up the revenue on paper. - That they have 'x' amount of parking meters for potential revenue. They put in all those meters to appear to increase the potential earnings (even though they never existed before contract agreements with the new potential parking meter people. ) The Chicago Way. There are probably more meters throughout the city like these.

AD:

Date: March 09, 2011 12:05PM

Thanks tseals, I had questioned that at post 4. That makes sense "the Chicago way"

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact