Mount Olive Cemetery

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Mount Olive Cemetery
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: November 19, 2010 01:38PM

Because of a discussion on another topic that is related to the location of Mount Olive, I thought it might be a good idea to begin a fresh thread on this. If anyone has information, memories, stories to tell, photos, etc. on this historic cemetery, please share!

[color=#FF0033]Fountain inside of entrance at Mount Olive[/color]

[url=http://proquest.umi.com.covers.chipublib.org/pqdweb?index=0&did=695858032&SrchMode=2&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1290184423&clientId=11417]Mount Olive Dedication[/url]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mount Olive Cemetery
Date: November 19, 2010 02:39PM

Here are a few more present day photos and a Tribune article mentioning one of the darker events in Mount Olive's history.

[color=#FF0033]Wall plaque inside of entrance building at Mount Olive[/color]

[color=#FF0033]backside of entrance building[/color]

[color=#FF0033]Close-up of backside of entrance building[/color]

[color=#FF0033]
[url=http://proquest.umi.com.covers.chipublib.org/pqdweb?index=0&did=422997761&SrchMode=2&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1290187762&clientId=11417]October 11 1898 Article[/url][/color]

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: November 19, 2010 04:24PM

shekaago,

The article link took me to the CPL. Not living in the city, but having a suburban library card, I couldn't get past the login screen.

Tried from my suburban library and was able to get to the Chicago Tribune archives and searched for Mount Olive Cemetery. Found lots of articles but none earlier than 1918.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 07:01PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: November 19, 2010 09:43PM

Daveg,

My apologies. I'm still learning how to post things correctly here. About an hour ago I posted the links to two stories about Mount Olive a different way and they were working. Now, however, after logging off then logging back in again, the links are no longer working. If anyone would like to have the articles emailed, I'd be happy to do so. Just PM me. Or, if you have access to the Chicago Tribune Archives through your public library, one of the articles can be accessed by searching for "Policeman Mikkelsen" on the date of "10/11/1898" and the other by searching for "Mount Olive" on the date of "09/14/1886."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 11:24PM by shekaago.

AD:

Date: March 11, 2013 07:54PM

Postcard image of Mount Olive Cemetery from 1908.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 07:55PM by shekaago.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: March 20, 2013 04:26AM

Have many family members resting there. We used to pay a visit there annually, and invariably got lost inside the place. The visits stopped when everyone who took the trip wound up there and I didn't feel the need to go by myself! No one left to give directions! Just found a deed to a plot the family owns there, so I just found it ironic that this thread popped up. Mostly Scandinavian cemetery. Cant access the cpl site, so I'm going to try Newspaper archives to see what pops up.

AD:

Date: March 20, 2013 03:33PM

Murphman and anyone who would like copies of articles on Mount Olive... Just PM me with an email address and I'd be happy to send them to you. Many of my relatives are buried there including my mom and dad and when I go, I'll be in there too! :-)
And you are correct, Murphman, about Mount Olive being the resting place for many of Chicago's Scandinavians, my family being among them. At the time of Mount Olive's dedication, on Sunday, September 12, 1886, it was owned by the Scandinavian Lutheran Cemetery Association.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 03:55PM by shekaago.

AD:

Posted by: Dawn ()
Date: May 05, 2013 09:51PM

Was this the Cemetery on the North Side of Chicago ? Near Bryn Mawr and Polaski Ave?

AD:

Posted by: MelvinaMarauder ()
Date: May 06, 2013 04:08PM

Dawn, no, Mt. Olive is southwest of Irving Park and Narragansett.

AD:

Posted by: sbniemann ()
Date: June 17, 2013 12:03PM

I have a letter written November 18, 1910 from my husband's great-great-grandfather, describing his wife's burial at the "Scandinavian Churchyard Mount Olive." The wife's full name is Karen Anna Eidsater Falkenberg, and I can't find a record of her gravestone.

So my questions are... is there a complete listing of graves online somewhere? Is it possible she was buried in an unmarked pauper's area (the letter describes how Nils spent all their money and lost their house due to medical bills)?

Also, after Anna's death Nils put their 6 children in an orphanage and disappeared. I haven't been able to find any record of his death or burial - so if there are any other Falkenbergs buried there, I'd love to find them.

Thanks!

Susan Niemann
Gainesville, FL

AD:

Posted by: Gailforce ()
Date: May 11, 2014 10:17PM

Susan, I have relatives with the last name of Falkenberg buried at Mount Olive. I have not come across the name of Nils, but I can check further.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:44PM

Mt. Olive has no computerized system. Lookups were $5 in the business office.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact