Getting an Old Newspaper Story

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Getting an Old Newspaper Story
Posted by: backwardk4501 ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:03AM

Is there a way to find an old newspaper story w/o joining an archives site? I do not want to sound like a cheap-a$$, but I do not want to pay what they are asking for a 3-month minimum subscription, for one article or two. PLease let me know.

BTW...I do not live in the Chicago area anymore, so I cannot hit the local Chicago library branch.

Thank You..Dennis Madia

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Getting an Old Newspaper Story
Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: October 29, 2010 12:07AM

I was going to suggest Chicago Public Library or Chicago Historical Society, but that won't work if you can't travel here. You might ask your local public library if there's some way they can get you the material through interlibrary loan. If you know the exact date of the article and the name of the newspaper, your library may be able to borrow a microfilm copy for you to use at your library.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: October 29, 2010 12:31PM

Since you mentioned the Chicago Public Library, the assumption is that it is in a Chicago paper and that you can identify the article you have in mind. As Elaine mentioned, many libraries have access to Proquest which may have access to the Chicago Tribune archives. Otherwise you may have to rely on identifying the article, and someone may be able to email it to you as a private message.

AD:

Date: October 31, 2010 02:53AM

I will try the main branch of the Cincinnati Library for the info. I do have an exact date, name, location etc...everything I need for a hopefully quick find.

Thank you both for the info! It is quite a bit of intersting, yet very sad bit of family history.

AD:

Posted by: Rod Sellers ()
Date: February 24, 2012 05:08PM

If you have a Chicago Public Library card you can access several newspapers on-line at no cast. In my opinion the best is the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive. Check with CPL to see if they have some type of reciprocal agreement with your local library.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: February 27, 2012 05:00AM

If you live in the 'burbs, you can get CPL card. I showed them my 'burb card and got a CPL card on the spot.

I learned this from Mr. Bowler who often visits here.

I can get to the Trib's Archive and others from my local (not CPL) library.

AD:

Posted by: adgorn ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:54PM

I have access to the Tribune Archives. What would you like to look up? Also you cantry: news.google.com/archivesearch

Alan

AD:

Posted by: bowler ()
Date: February 28, 2012 08:25PM

It looks as though Cincinnati Public Library has some sort of access to the Chicago Tribune as well as the New York Times:

http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/resources/research.asp?group=14

Another option is if you know someone who has a Chicago card. There is no restriction on using another person's card with their permission.

Also, check in some of the surrounding areas (county libraries, neighboring suburbs) as often libraries have what they call reciprical agreements. This will allow you to access online databases offered at all of these libraries.

AD:

Date: March 06, 2012 01:14AM

Thanks for the responses. I did try the Cincinnati Library and they could only get a few beginning lines from the stories. However, with their help, I was able to get the info I needed to get the full articles. Very interesting information...still a lot of questions that may never be answered though. But I did find out that my late uncle, whom I never met (murdered well before I was born)had one time owned Big Jim Colosimos old joint...he was fixing it up but never got around to opening it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 01:17AM by backwardk4501.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact