"smellavision"

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
"smellavision"
Posted by: lorianej ()
Date: October 22, 2010 04:41PM

Does anyone remember or having any info on a room in the Borg-Warner Building (or in the vicinity of) in the 1960's that had a room that showed a short film where the room changed (temperature/odor etc) based on what was being viewed?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: "smellavision"
Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: October 29, 2010 05:23PM

That sounds like something John Waters or Svengoolie would have been involved with.

AD:

Posted by: Brule Laker ()
Date: May 08, 2011 01:08AM

I saw the movie "The Scent of Mystery" with Small-a-Vision (or some variation of that) at a downtown theater in the early 1960s. Odors came from vents under the seats. The one I remembered was the foul smell or donkeys on the trail.

AD:

Posted by: davidaus ()
Date: May 08, 2011 02:35AM

I remember it well. Likely on a corner and certainly on Michigan Ave. and not far from the Art Institute. I would have visited there in the '60s or even '70s. No charge for admission. I wonder now what the point was, how this fit (and promoted) their business at Borg Warner?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: March 04, 2013 07:37PM

I remember that, and the other science exhibits, that were there. It was a free mini-museum/advertisement for Borg-Warner products. There was a small write-up about it in Popular Science in the mid-1960's. I was disappointed when it closed, and don't know what happened to the theatre or the other exhibits.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact