Fox River Grove Picnic Grove

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Fox River Grove Picnic Grove
Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: October 21, 2010 01:32PM

In the 60s I remembered going to picnics at the Fox River Picnic Grove. There was something for everyone, swimming in the river,BINGO,horeshoes, rides, arcade games,food, riverboat ride, a marina.

Anybody else have memories they wish to share.

Other picnic places our family went to were Holiday Park,Gages Lake, Earhart Grove.

Does anybody know where these places were located?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Fox River Grove Picnic Grove
Posted by: daveg ()
Date: October 21, 2010 01:55PM

Gages Lake is located just east of Rt 45 about a mile north of Rt 120. The public beach area on Rt 45 and Gages Lake road was converted to condos some time ago.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. ()
Date: October 21, 2010 03:12PM

I remember the Fox River Picnic Grove well. I have a photo of me standing in front of the concession stand. They had a large raft and a tall slide in the water. In my antique travels, I found some glass ash trays with their name printed on them along with Van Merrit Beer, which was brewed by Monarch Brewing Company in Chicago. Guessing at my age in the photo, it would have been about 1958. Good memories. I believe the land now is being used for the hot air balloon enthusiasts.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. ()
Date: October 21, 2010 03:51PM

I got so excited about Fox River Grove, I didn't notice the Holiday Park mention. My parents took me there as well nearly every Sunday for several years in a row, probably about 1962-ish. Originally, they only had a small concession stand and row boat rentals, along with the picnic benches and a small sandy beach. They also had a small pond they used as a hatchery for stocking the lake with Bluegills. Across Wooster Lake, there was a Boy's Camp we used to explore when it wasn't being used. I remember the rowboats being bright green with white numbers. Years later, I understand they expanded the business adding all types of watersports and activities before it was eventually sold for development.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue ()
Date: October 28, 2010 02:30AM

I remember going to Fox River Grove in the '60s with my cousin for the Bell & Howell company picnics held there for many years. Three of my uncles worked there. We were give tickets for any food item and amusement park rides for the day.

One year my cousin's boyfriend brought his boat for use on the river. When he tried to get it back on the trailer attached to his car (a convertible no less) the entire setup rolled into the river. I don't remember how they got the boat and car out but I do remember how mouldy the car smelled after that.

Another time Charles Percy, president of Bell & Howell, was running for U.S. Senator (I think). You could have your picture taken and pick it up later mounted in a cardboard frame--two oval pictures looking at each other; Percy and you. I still have it. He never did win and later suffered the still unsolved murder of his daughter.

We always stayed at the picnic until dark and then we all stayed overnight at my uncle's summer cottage in Wonderlake.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:38PM

Chuck Percy was U.S. Senator (Illinois) from 1967 to 1985. He's still with us at 91 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Percy

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue ()
Date: October 28, 2010 05:28PM

Daveg, thanks for setting the record straight. It was late when I submitted the entry and my memory for politics prior to high school is sketchy at best. I am suprised Percy is still living.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: November 10, 2010 11:56AM

Found this website with the history of the picnic grove.

http://chicagolandhistory.angelfire.com/foxriverpicnicgrove.html

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: October 08, 2011 03:52PM

I remember Seeburg picnics at Fox River Grove. Anyone else?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact