Bowling Alley name?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Bowling Alley name?
Posted by: backwardk4501 ()
Date: October 07, 2010 01:17AM

There used to be a bowling alley on Ashland between 62nd and 63rd. What was the name of this place?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bowling Alley name?
Posted by: bowler ()
Date: October 08, 2010 07:40PM

I found a reference from a 1937 tribune article for a "Queen Recreation Alleys" located at 6236 S. Ashland. Of course it could have been renamed over the years. I'll see what else I can dig up.

AD:

Posted by: bowler ()
Date: October 08, 2010 07:41PM

Well, I can confirm that it was still being called the Queen Recreation Alleys as late as 1962.

AD:

Posted by: backwardk4501 ()
Date: October 08, 2010 11:41PM

Thank you Bowler...I have no recollection of the place, my dad and his sister were trying to remember it (they lived at 65th/Honore)...I guess my father was close to correct...he had the Queen part, and knew there was something more to the name besides that. Thanks again!!

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 28, 2015 11:43PM

Back in the 50's it was one of our favorite places to bowl. I was seven and I rolled a 66. They were the only bowling alley, besides Marazano Palace bowl that had cork balls. Twenty years later I kept a 180avg.

AD:

Date: January 31, 2015 09:18PM

[b]J B's at 51st & Damen. also one at 48th & Honore above the tavern at 4801.[b][/b][/b]

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 31, 2015 10:29PM

J B's had very oily lanes, good alleys to practice ball control. Our dentist office was on the same floor. Afer bowling we would go down and have a shake at Gus's

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact