Bowman Dairy Buildings

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Bowman Dairy Buildings
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: August 12, 2010 04:40PM

I know of two still-standing Bowman Dairy buildings; one is adjacent to the Kennedy on Kostner (there was a revolving sign for Jug Barbeque Sauce and Pride Of Spain Olives next to the building), and the other is at 41st and State. Are there any others still around? There was another where Ed Debevic's is now, but that's obviously been gone a long time.

There's also a former Borden plant on Locust near Franklin next to the el tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 11:54AM by WayOutWardell.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bowman Dairy Buildings
Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: August 16, 2010 09:33PM

there is condo development on the site of a fairly large Bowman's Dairy facility @ Talman and Diversey...2800 N Talman...adjacent to the Kennedy...not sure if the buildings are conversions or the site was razed...

I've seen a building at the corner of 103rd and Vincennes in Beverly with a Bowman's sign hidden behind a billboard...not sure if that was an old advertisement or the actual building used for Bowman

AD:

Date: August 17, 2010 07:08PM

Interesting...it looks like the Talman/Diversey condo development calls itself the Borden Dairy Commons, but it looks like the same building that I remember being the Dad's Root Beer plant.

AD:

Date: August 17, 2010 08:00PM

sorry, my bad..the talman/diversey complex is the Borden Commons, not Bowman.

there was a facility built by Bowman in 1910 @ 66th and Wentworth, but that looks like it has been gone since the 60's...

AD:

Date: August 26, 2010 06:24PM

Thanks for those locations, Captain. I'll have to see if the Beverly one is still around.

I wonder when Borden moved out and Dad's Root Beer moved in. They sure went crazy with the neon signs when they took it over.

AD:

Date: August 28, 2010 08:11PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder when Borden moved out and Dad's Root Beer
> moved in. They sure went crazy with the neon
> signs when they took it over.

from the Tribune archives:

"Borden Dairy Commons, a new 55-unit residential development, is being built on 1.5 acres at the northwest corner of Diversey and Talman Avenues. Previously located on the property was the Borden Dairy, which was in business from the early 1900s until the mid-1940s. The dairy was replaced by a Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer facility, and, after 1969, the four brick buildings were used as warehouses."

AD:

Date: August 28, 2010 09:50PM

Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks, Captain!

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL ()
Date: November 30, 2010 01:59AM

The former Bowman Dairy building in Evanston is now part of a public storage facility, and I remember the one on S. 1st Avenue in Maywood, which came down sometime in the 90s.

AD:

Date: November 30, 2010 03:04AM

SuperCFL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The former Bowman Dairy building in Evanston is
> now part of a public storage facility, and I
> remember the one on S. 1st Avenue in Maywood,
> which came down sometime in the 90s.

Was the one on 1st Ave. a red brick building adjacent to the railroad tracks?

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: February 04, 2015 02:16AM

There was a Bowman Dairy on Ravenswood just north of Berteau. The building still stands and the Bowman Dairy name is still on top of the building.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: February 04, 2015 02:53PM

there is another Former Bowman Dairy building on the far south side at the NW corner of 103rd Malta. this 3 story building served in the 60s and 70s as Monarch Cleaners. Since then it's been a variety of things. The Bowman signage at the top of the building re emerged a couple of years ago after a windstorm blew off the plywood that had been covering it for decades. The cover has since been replaced and once again the Bowman sign is covered. I grew up in this area in the 60s our older neighbors said that Bowman kept horses in this facility that once pulled milk wagons and then were used for parades ala the Budweiser Clydesdales.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 04, 2015 11:28PM

We had two dairy companys on the southside, Seeley Dairy at 49th and Seeley and another on 53rd and Western Blvd, however, I can't remember the name. We passed it almost every day to get a free carton of choclate milk on the way to Gage Park pool in the 50's.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact