Smelt season

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Smelt season
Posted by: FranCarmen ()
Date: April 20, 2010 03:22PM

I'm writing a blog post about smelt season in Chicago and would like to get some information from someone who knows something about this. In particular, I'm writing about my first time learning about smelt season, back in the early seventies at Montrose Harbor, but I'm not picky and I'll take an experienced smelter from any Chicago habor. I'll send you questions by email and you have to be willing to have your name appear on the blog. thanks in advance.

http://francesarcher.com

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Smelt season
Posted by: Artista ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:15AM

I look forward to seeing what you produce on this topic Fran. I was never a smelter but my brother and i use to go out to Montrose harbor and the other sites anyway. A purely Chicago experience.

AD:

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: April 27, 2010 12:42AM

I think Detroit, too.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: April 27, 2010 12:55PM

The Trib had a little blurb on the Chicago smelt season a few days ago.

They showed a picture of a bunch of smelt on a platter, heads and all. The author said he tried them. Once. He was told to eat the "entire" smelt. I guess that's where the "once" came from.

AD:

Posted by: caroljakobs ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:47PM

Used to smelt all the time at Montrose Harbor with a group of friends. What do you want to know?

AD:

Posted by: chgobill67 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:53AM

I grew up at Belmont and Sheridan Rd. I remember driving home late at night with my parents visiting family on the South Side and hitting the turn at Oak St. on LSD and seeing lights from the smelters for miles - It was a fantastic sight that I really miss!

I went a few times with my Uncle and cousins - light, dip net, deep fryer - we'd cook 'em up right there on a cold night, nothing tasted better. Warms my stomach to think of it.

Best to all!
Bill K.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:58AM

that just sounds scary as f*ck.

AD:

Posted by: Patti ()
Date: February 06, 2011 01:03PM

I can't really help but just want to say it seems like your post will be interesting as it may spark a lot of memories. I can remember as a kid going down to the lake and walking along for quite a distance while passing what seemed like hundreds of people fishing for smelt. I felt such a wonderful sense of camaraderie among all the fishermen and their families.

AD:

Posted by: backwardk4501 ()
Date: February 07, 2011 12:47AM

So, does smelt season bring out hoardes of people these days?

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: February 08, 2011 09:04PM

Smelts are readily available at Gill Park, oh, you meant the actual fish.....

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen ()
Date: February 09, 2011 01:26AM

I did get a few comments from my blogpost about smelt fishing and someone reported the smelt are apparently gone. However, people still show up for smelt fishing at Montrose harbor because they don't let the lack of smelt get in the way of a good party. just a third-party report, so we need an update this spring.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact