1430 W. Berwyn Caryatids

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
1430 W. Berwyn Caryatids
Posted by: ChicagoGeek ()
Date: April 18, 2010 12:21AM

I was wondering if anyone knew the history of the house at 1430 W, Berwyn? It's the house with the caryatids at the top. There are conflicting dates regarding the construction. Also, who was the original owner or client?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 1430 W. Berwyn Caryatids
Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:41AM

I'm a volunteer docent with Chicago Architecture Foundation. We used to have an Andersonville tour, and I still have my tour cards for that tour. My information is that the building dates to 1904, the original owner was a Dr. Christiansen, and the architect was George L. Pfeiffer. I think the Edgewater Historical Society may have more information.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:21AM

Although it doesn't mention the building in discussion, this [url=http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/npu_sahq&CISOPTR=4550&REC=2]article[/url] about the history of Andersonville has background on some commercial buildings and churches in the neighborhood.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:19AM

I have a friend who is with the Edgewater Historical Society and he provided me with this info. It appears that many of the adornments have been added by the current owner.

[url=http://www.edgewaterhistory.org/]Edgewater Historical Society[/url]

The "castle," as it is commonly known, is clearly an Andersonville landmark. It was built in 1904 for C. Christiansen at a cost of $6,000. The architect was George Pfeiffer. In this eclectic building period in Chicago, buildings such as this one exhibit several architectural styles. Here we see elements of English Gothic and Romanesque style. The rusticated limestone exterior and the large turret create the feeling of a castle. The carved stonework and the cluster columns with carved capitals indicate the craftsmanship of the builder, James P. Flick. The current owner is Ron Flores and he has embellished the site with his collections of architectural artifacts.

Entering the building, you will go through a small oak-trimmed vestibule to the oak staircase. As you come up the stairs you can see yourself and a reflection of the hallway framed in an ornate mirror. The current owner, a collector and fan of the Rococo style of 18th century France, has found the perfect setting for his collections. Beginning with the plaster moldings applied to the walls and carried through the striking color harmonies, the living room provides a setting which evokes the time of Louis XV. An original stained glass window with a floral design faces east in the living room. It was uncovered by the owner in the late 1970s. Other glass in the room is beveled and each has a story behind it.

The turret ceiling, embellished by the owner with applied angels and Beaux Arts detailing, shows clear glass in the top windows. Because of the damage to some of these windows, the faceted glass was removed. The turret itself is quite a curiosity since its main purpose seems to be to bring light into the area. Off the living room to the right is a small space - a sitting room.

The apartment is designed without a circulating hallway; to reach the back of the house from the front you must go through each room in succession. Towards the back of the living room is a doorway that has been altered to accommodate a modern door. Originally, this doorway may have had a velvet drape to prevent drafts. The next room is a music room. The next doorway has the original pocket doors. The chandelier is from the same time period but is not original. The east window displays another unique stained glass in a floral design. The built-in buffet/hutch is accented by unusual geometric columns. All the woodwork, ceiling beams, buffet and window trim is oak.

From the dining room are two doorways. One leads to a sitting-room/bedroom which was once two bedrooms. The ceiling light fixture is original to the house and gives an idea of what the other might have looked like. It carries both gas and electric service which was necessary at this time since the reliability of electricity as a power source was not assured.

The second doorway leads to the kitchen and bathroom. Note the fleur-de-lis pattern on the bathroom floor. The kitchen has been remodeled and redecorated but the pantry is still intact. The owner invites you to walk through the yard to view the beautiful stone fountain and the original garage. Please step carefully as not all walkways are level. The building is considered a potential landmark by the City of Chicago Landmarks Commission.

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoGeek ()
Date: July 30, 2010 12:04AM

Thank you so much for all that info.

AD:

Posted by: Caroline Stevens ()
Date: October 05, 2010 02:26AM

I have always found this home fascinating and was lucky enough to have the chance to venture inside, take some photographs and talk with building's owner Ronald Flores. If interested in reading my article on the home and taking a look inside follow this link [url=http://blueprintchicago.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/1430-w-berwyn/]1430 W. Berwyn[/url].

And here is my collection of [url=http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=225062&id=260938043201&fbid=435794638201&ref=mf]photographs[/url] of the house inside and out:

I'm a big fan of Forgotten Chicago and everyone who partakes in these discussions.

Thanks!

Caroline
[url=http://blueprintchicago.wordpress.com/]blueprintchicago.org[/url]

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: October 05, 2010 10:42AM

Thanks for sharing your article and photos Caroline. Both are great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 10:43AM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Caroline Stevens ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:14AM

I just discovered that George Pfeiffer later moved to Miami and designed buildings in the art deco style. Quite a change!

(more information found at [url=http://blueprintchicago.wordpress.com/]blueprintchicago.org[/url])

AD:

Posted by: RedRaven ()
Date: January 06, 2011 03:51PM

All the cobble stones in the yard came from the Trolley base in the center of Ashland Ave., when they had trolleys that is. As progress dictated the city covered over the tracks, it was stable ground, and cost effective.

Well, when the "City" decided to put in flower beds in the center of Ashland they had to dig up the center. Low and behold, they found the old trolley tracks and cobble stone (bricks) bed. And back then they just dug it up and sent it to land fill.

Ron got wind of it and asked a Forman if he could have some of them, as it would save them the expense of disposing of the cobble stones.

The Forman agreed to allow Ron to get what ever he wanted after hours as not to disturb the workmen.

So, Ron got in his old beaten up red 1/2 ton pickup with a half dozen workers he hired off the street, and they went to Ashland and gathered enough to pave what everyone can see today.

Ron had a pile of them in the back yard for years until he decided to do some landscaping.

Well, before he put in the stones, he had large 7' bushes obscuring the then front yard. I talked him into landscaping the front so people could see his magnificent home. He obviously agreed.

The front fence came from a Chicago building downtown and is installed "upside down" on purpose. Ron and I believe they came from a famous Chicago brothel.
Ron added the spear heads and I got him to paint them royal colors, black and Gold.

Anyway, The uneven nature of the cobble stones was purposeful.

I didn't realize this until I came back from a business trip to Strasbourg France for Lilly pharmaceutical, that since Ron loved 18th century French, he wanted the feel of old Europe. And walking down Strasbourg I understood.

Ron and I celebrated the finish with a $1300 bottle of LOUIS XII coniac.

Also, go here for photos and videos of the place from roof-deck to basement:
http://RedRavenProductions.com/FloresProperties/index.asp

I lived there for 4.5 years and got to know the intimate details of the house. From the beauty of the Not-Garden to the lavish life style of one of the least understood and most eclectic eccentric steward of Chicago/Edgewater/Andersonville history. And I'm glad we were close friends and room mates. I know the truth about all the good and disparaging words. And I know and have documented those years for the Edgewater Historical Society and for the history buffs 100-200 years from now.

Complaining about a person when the more important discussion is architecture seems personal and petty. History will remember important information and not necessarly the venting of personal feelings. We don't care about that now.

What ever is said and done, the late Ron Flores is a part of history and no one can change that.....
;)

AD:

Posted by: RedRaven ()
Date: January 31, 2011 06:33PM

Ron and I sat down one day and roughly estimated his worth and it came to over 2 million. He owned many buildings in his career as landlord. One of his prized buildings was the church that the Elgin Watch manufature built, where else, in Elgin IL. ;P

Ron was an architectural aficionado and expert on the 18th Century French culture. His extensive knowledge of Chicago's architecture rivaled many of Chicago's historical societies knowledge. He was a docent and took me on many architectural drive-arounds, just the two of us.

Ron gathered architecture pieces from all over Chicago pieces of buildings that were being demolished and sent of as land fill. Ron saved a bit of Chicago's history, more than anyone else can say as an individual. Yes he was eccentric but I just remember "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds", Albert Einstein. Remember, however his heart turned, he did this not only for himself, but also for the rest of us to remember some of Chicago's stories. Now told in stories, the Andersonville/Edgewater "Castle of Flores".
--------------------------------------------------------
Reading that first posting, I got déjà vu from the house tour EHS presented the season before I moved in. I remember one summer, an architectural society was touring Andersonville and surrounding areas. When they came by the Castle, they told the "canned" story. I was sitting out in front and when they were finished I gave them a real tour. I was able to break the group away for a tour because I directed this question to the guide; "All that was said is true. And all what was said came from The Edgewater Historical Society's copyrighted documentation". He acknowledged this to be true. So again I said "well would you like a real tour?" And we all went around and I weaved a wonderful story. The guide had the most fun it seemed.
--------------------------------------------------------
Let's Tour the Andersonville/Edgewater "Castle of Flores".
From the Spring to the Fall Ron and I would sit in frot and when passers by stopped and chatted with us we'd usually give them a tour or just let them wanter through the "Not Garden"

I'll be using the great photos from both these sites as reference.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=435801518201&set=a.435794638201.225062.260938043201

and the website I developed for Ron:
http://redravenproductions.com/FloresProperties/index.asp

From the front facebook.d12 and http://redravenproductions.com/FloresProperties/1430WBerwyn-0/1430WBerwyn.asp #01 "The front gate"
This came from a Chicago bank vault that was being demolished. The lion heads are Ron.

Just behind the FB.D12 is a statue of cupid on a column Ron cemented together from demolished buildings.

The front fence; When Ron took out the 7' high bushes he needed a fence. I suggested something that would not remind people of prison bars. Like the ones that proliferate the neighborhood. Something that would beuniquely Ron Flores. He said he wanted one that is at a friendly height. High enough to keep out dogs, but short enough to be inviting. So, he trucked in the beautiful ornate fence everyone sees now. It came in two peices.

http://redravenproductions.com/FloresProperties/1430WBerwyn-0/1430WBerwyn.asp image 4 shows the front yard. The pond in front has a fountian. We sat in the deck chairs enjoying the day.

Image #5: Ron added the flower pots.

Images #7 and C9: A walk down Ron's "Not Garden". The first area with 9' affords great privacy.

You pass thru two columns to come upon a sitting area. Then walk thru a small pond to where he parked his corvette. Now that was a fun car to drive.

Because Ron owned both 1430 and 1426 the "Not Garden" was his to enjoy.

So before he sold 1426 there were two back yards.

In the 1430 back yard was an artificial pond structure. The vertical structure has a 17' base that was installed to keep the above ground structure visible to the viewers from ending up like the "Leaning Tower...". The face on that structure is a "Green Man".
See pic B10 (matrix notation)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man:
The Green Man motif has many variations. Found in many cultures around the world, the Green Man is often related to natural vegetative deities springing up in different cultures throughout the ages. Primarily it is interpreted as a symbol of rebirth, or "renaissance," representing the cycle of growth each spring. Some speculate that the mythology of the Green Man developed independently in the traditions of separate ancient cultures and evolved into the wide variety of examples found throughout history.

Throughout Ron's Castle, he had representations of the "Green Man".

Ron designed the "Green Man" to be above the two waterspout and the waterspout below it to converge at one point in center catch basin of the pond. It also had two waterfalls on either side of the waterspouts.

The pond wall is actually an entrance or doorway from one of those buildings. The "Keystone" was turned for better viewing.

The fence allowed visitors privacy.

The tree in the back yard is an elm tree. The only surviving elm when all up and down the street all the elms died of a blight. Ron saved this one.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact