Lakewood/Catalpa Bomb

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Lakewood/Catalpa Bomb
Posted by: Tim ()
Date: March 22, 2010 10:04PM

I grew up in the Lakewood/Balmoral area of Edgewater. About 1955-1956 a bomb was detonated at the NE corner of Lakewood/Catalpa, sometime after midnight. It (rather instantly) killed the guy who was carrying it. There was talk it was meant for the house on the SE corner. We walked past the site on the way to school in the morning. The police and/or coroner had already picked up the larger pieces, but there was enough of the bomber spread around to cause a stir.

Does anyone rememeber this or know where some info would be available? I have no idea as to how much this was publicized in the newspapers or on TV.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lakewood/Catalpa Bomb
Date: March 23, 2010 05:00PM

Allow me to respond to my own posting...thanks to a tip I located three articles about this in the Chicag Tribune archives. Unless I am mistaken, there's no way to post the pdf files here. That said, I'd be happy to send them to anyone who might be interested.

AD:

Posted by: Artista ()
Date: March 23, 2010 05:06PM

I am interested to see these articles Tim. can you post the links?

AD:

Date: March 23, 2010 06:55PM

The three aticles I have are pdf files. Unfortuately, they exist on my computer, not on a site to which I can link. Can you access me via a private message on this site? If not, I'll post a usable email address.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: July 12, 2011 01:15PM

I suspect that you're the same Tim who submitted the question to the Straight Dope. In case you're not ,[url=http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20100408.php]here's a load of info for you.[/url]

AD:

Date: July 17, 2011 04:49PM

You are correct. Thanks or posting that link to SDC. I had intended to do so, but never got around to it.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact