Rocky's Bait Shop

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Rocky's Bait Shop
Posted by: Tim ()
Date: March 17, 2010 12:22AM

Anyone remember Rocky's and/or its owners? Absolutely the best fried shrimp. It was located more or less at the base of Navy Pier on the south side. There was a small building and a trailer. It was run by a couple guys of Greek descent. I believe Chris was the father. Don't recall his son's name. It closed during the winter months. The shrimp was served in paper bags. Great spot on summer evenings. I could be mistaken, but when I left Chicago in 1969 (drafted) it was still there.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Rocky's Bait Shop
Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: March 18, 2010 01:19AM

I do remember that place - never ate there though as I won't eat any kind of fish! But I remember the birds swooping all over there. That was when you could still walk along the outside of Navy Pier and watch the ships being loaded and unloaded with freight. I believe that Rocky's was removed when the Disneyfication of Navy Pier occurred. Although I DO still love to walk along the pier all the way to the end on a nice day, despite the crowds of tourists!

AD:

Posted by: Daytonology ()
Date: April 05, 2010 09:51PM

Oh I remember Rocky's well! They used to sell breaded shrimp there. It was the old low-key Navy Pier experience..we'd stop there after walking the pier and watching the ships. I seem to recall Rocky had his own wooden chair out front.

AD:

Date: April 05, 2010 11:24PM

[b]That brings back memories. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: caroljakobs ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:51PM

Awesome memories. Best shrimp ever.

AD:

Posted by: Dan Hogan ()
Date: February 14, 2011 03:37AM

found this on flickr recently: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amsterdam14931/5318458814/

lots of great pictures there.

AD:

Posted by: Llepke ()
Date: February 14, 2011 05:50AM

I used to walk to Rocky's nearly every day late spring to early fall, disappeared 1993 I think, when the bike path went it. It was where the last concrete bench is now, near the military gate. There are some posts on the net by Joe Panzo, Rocky Panzo's Grandson, Chris is Joe's father. And there was a newspaper article floating around from 1986? might find it on highbeam

AD:

Posted by: john_shannon_jr ()
Date: February 18, 2011 04:42PM

First of all, I would like to thank the person who supplied the photo of Rocky's. Also here is another link I found that might be of interest.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/115720

Thanks
John

AD:

Posted by: buddylee ()
Date: March 25, 2011 04:20AM

I have a bunch of pictures of Rocky and the shack..send me your email.....i put some up on chowhound....

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2011 12:40AM

I use to goto Franks Bait shop on Monstrose ave in chicago before I went fishing to the horseshoe over there . I know that Park Bait is still there . I also remember that real men went there to buy the bait for fishing on the pier over there . Now its a joke with phony people that call them self Chicagoans . Real men like plumbers , heating and cooling guys, and people that worked in the factories like me and my father did . now its a joke .

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact