What was at Montrose and Narragansett prior to Wright college?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What was at Montrose and Narragansett prior to Wright college?
Posted by: Artista ()
Date: February 24, 2010 03:45AM

Ive been viewing the site on Historic Aerials and i see that there was some type of huge complex between 1939 and 1988. For the life of me, I cant remember what it was. I know many of you can answer this one..thanks (a side note- although the new Wright college is impressive better adapted and accommodating for the students, its a shame to see the old building be left behind and renamed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 10:30AM by Artista.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: What was at Montrose and Narragansett prior to Wright college?
Posted by: StrayKitten ()
Date: February 24, 2010 01:53PM

I believe it was part of the Dunning Institution complex. Dunning covered a huge area between Irving Park and Montrose.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: February 24, 2010 02:20PM

StrayKitten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe it was part of the Dunning Institution
> complex. Dunning covered a huge area between
> Irving Park and Montrose.

I think your right, found this
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/395.html

AD:

Date: February 24, 2010 03:04PM

Wow thanks 'Kitten thanks 222, that article was very interesting to read.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: February 27, 2010 12:08AM

Yes it was Dunning and was referred to as the "County Farm." I live in the Dunning neighborhood and when I was a kid the train track spur that lead to the County Farm was still in place. Now there are condos and apartment buildings and homes built on that old railroad right-of-way which is roughly along present day Nashville Ave., between Neenah and Natoma (or approx. 6600 west... which was called 66th Ave. back in 1910.) The site that you mention, 222psm, is an excellent site for researching Chicago history. I love it! I also love old maps and the University of Chicago has a nice collection that you can view online for free. It is a wonderful resource. On the following link you can see the County Farm site on a 1910 Rand McNally map of Chicago.

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6-1910-R3-N.html

(http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6-1910-R3-N.html)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 12:13AM by shekaago.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen ()
Date: February 27, 2010 12:44AM

Thanks for posting the information about the u of c. map website. The 1914 city school map is great.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Date: February 27, 2010 05:38PM

Thanks so much shekaago for the link to the map thats really cool, and for confirming my suspicions that the track ran to the Dunning site. If you don't mind me asking, what year did those tracks still extend that far north? It seems from google maps that they now end at Diversey Ave.

I'm almost sure that by the 70's they did not cross Irving Park as we used to go to Wood Dale and I don't recall seeing them. and with my fascination with rail roads I'm certain I would have noticed them.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 11:16AM

Ive been learning so much more of our great city thanks to my new friends here. What a G R E A T site this is ,am i right or wrong folks????

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: February 28, 2010 02:19PM

oh me too! love this place! i wish it were busier! feel like i'm becoming an unofficial chicago historian.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 03:36PM

So true! Thanks to all for your help. This is a great site, it makes me miss my home town even more. It would be cool if the forgotten Chicago crew would do more investigating on abandon rail roads and spurs. Since Chicago has such a rich rail road history. They have the one on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Brookdale Spur, under Infrastructure on the main site. If I still lived in Chicago I'd definitely would volunteer to help out!

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 04:20PM

Hey 222,, Where about do you live now? If there is something you would like me to look into don't hesitate to ask 222. Hey Crow' i just realized your full name crow~among~hens..lol.. i love it. Its up to US to make this site busier it seems. I dont mind taking on that challenge.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 04:38PM

I, too, love this site! It is a wonderful place to learn from others about all the great, forgotten places in Chicago. It's so nice to find something that triggers a happy memory and I can't tell you how many times I've read something on here that makes me say "wow!" Thank you to all you Chicago historians official or not! Everyone is a valuable historical resource. To 222psm... I recall walking along the raised railbed of those old tracks from Addison all the way south to past Fullerton when I was a kid growing up during the 1960's and 1970's and also seeing those tracks disappear past the fence at Addison into the cemetery(ies) northward. And at Irving Park Road there was a bit of a hump in the pavement around the time that parts of the Dunning site still existed though I'm not sure I recall seeing actual tracks crossing the pavement there. But I will do a bit more research and see what I can find out. Chicago does still have a few remnants of its former railroad glory days but they are swiftly and sadly disappearing.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 04:42PM

Artista Wrote:
> Hey 222,, Where about do you live now? If there is
> something you would like me to look into don't
> hesitate to ask 222. Hey Crow' i just realized
> your full name crow~among~hens..lol.. i love it.
> Its up to US to make this site busier it seems. I
> dont mind taking on that challenge.

I'm now in Louisiana, near the state capitol of Baton Rouge, thanks so much for the offer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 04:45PM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 04:54PM

shekaago Wrote:
> I, too, love this site! It is a wonderful place to
> learn from others about all the great, forgotten
> places in Chicago. It's so nice to find something
> that triggers a happy memory and I can't tell you
> how many times I've read something on here that
> makes me say "wow!" Thank you to all you Chicago
> historians official or not! Everyone is a valuable
> historical resource. To 222psm... I recall walking
> along the raised railbed of those old tracks from
> Addison all the way south to past Fullerton when I
> was a kid growing up during the 1960's and 1970's
> and also seeing those tracks disappear past the
> fence at Addison into the cemetery(ies) northward.
> And at Irving Park Road there was a bit of a hump
> in the pavement around the time that parts of the
> Dunning site still existed though I'm not sure I
> recall seeing actual tracks crossing the pavement
> there. But I will do a bit more research and see
> what I can find out. Chicago does still have a few
> remnants of its former railroad glory days but
> they are swiftly and sadly disappearing.

Thank shekaago, it is sad that it's disappearing I remember the ComEd spur that ran near California and Addison I see thats long gone too.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 09:52PM

chicago railroads are part of my DNA - i was born and grew up with the Belt Railway right behind my house near midway!

hey 222psm, i know how it is to miss Chicago, i lived in Gulfport-Biloxi for about 4 years, and then NJ for 6. it's not til you move away and gain perspective (kinda like walter jacobsen) that you really start to realize all the little idiosyncrasies particular to Chicago, and ChicagoANS.

AD:

Date: February 28, 2010 10:51PM

crowamonghens Wrote:
> chicago railroads are part of my DNA - i was born
> and grew up with the Belt Railway right behind my
> house near midway!
>
> hey 222psm, i know how it is to miss Chicago, i
> lived in Gulfport-Biloxi for about 4 years, and
> then NJ for 6. it's not til you move away and gain
> perspective (kinda like walter jacobsen) that you
> really start to realize all the little
> idiosyncrasies particular to Chicago, and
> ChicagoANS.

LOL, boy is that the truth! I see you lived in gulfport we go swimming there some times, but when Katrina came it put a hurting on them, they are slowly coming back. Most of the time we go to Gulf Shores AL the beaches are much nicer.

My cousin lives near midway between Archer and 55th right by the tracks.

AD:

Date: March 01, 2010 05:50AM

gulf shores is nice! plus you get surf. used to go to pensacola too occasionally.

your cousin's probably right where we were, between 55th and archer, we were at 54th/latrobe.

AD:

Date: March 01, 2010 01:40PM

222 -- There is one remnant of that ComEd spur at Elston and Whipple. Part of the overpass still exists on the north side of Elston.

Artista -- Thanks for mentioning the Historic Aerials site. What a great resource!

AD:

Date: March 02, 2010 10:18AM

shekaago Wrote:
> 222 -- There is one remnant of that ComEd spur at
> Elston and Whipple. Part of the overpass still
> exists on the north side of Elston.
>
> Artista -- Thanks for mentioning the Historic
> Aerials site. What a great resource!

Yes, I've seen that on google maps, my friend and I used to walk those tracks back
in the late 70's early 80's. One of the few times I saw a train on those tracks was around 1979, it was just the locomotive and a flat car with a large transformer, or some other electrical equipment.

AD:

Date: March 02, 2010 10:20AM

crowamonghens Wrote:
> gulf shores is nice! plus you get surf. used to go
> to pensacola too occasionally.
>
> your cousin's probably right where we were,
> between 55th and archer, we were at 54th/latrobe.

He's on Lockwood.

AD:

Posted by: graylander773 ()
Date: March 04, 2010 09:38PM

Not to be redundant since this is on a separate thread re: 3262 N Narragansett, but this link has some photos of old Dunning spur rail lines, where they are still visible at street grade, and what I think are a couple clues where the old right of way has been built over.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48076639@N04/

AD:

Date: March 16, 2010 08:09PM

Here are a few photos (not the greatest - so sorry) of streets the old Dunning spur rail line crossed from about Roscoe to Irving Park Road. I'm going to take a walk through the cemetery this weekend and see if I can find any more clues. Even in these photos it is difficult to see the grade change in the landscape but if anyone wants to do a walking tour of the area one day, I'd be happy to show everyone around. One thing I just noticed while walking around photographing in the neighborhood was the very long lots on the east side of Natoma between Roscoe and Addison. I always knew about the short streets of Schorsch homes between School Street and Roscoe but the long lots are another clue that those old tracks caused an anomaly in the street plan.

[url=http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/48434568@N03/]Clues of Old Dunning Spur Rail Bed between ~ Roscoe and Irving Park Road[/url]

AD:

Date: March 16, 2010 10:28PM

Thank you so much shekaago for taking the time to take the pictures. I bet a lot of people do not even realize that tracks once ran there, it's so cool to find clues.

AD:

Date: March 17, 2010 11:03AM

BTW the gate at addison reminds me of the gate at California for the ComEd spur, which I think is now gone.(the gate) Good catch! Good luck in finding clues in the cemetery just don't go at night LOL. But if you do find some please post pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 11:05AM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: graylander773 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 11:14AM

Thanks and Good job shekaago! I went traipsing around that lovely area a few weeks ago too, it was definitely interesting! I also noticed the grade changes, and there were even railroad ties in the alleys.

I am also very interested in the cemetery between Addison/Irving Park, and if any clues/remnants are left standing...cemeteries in general fascinate me...Looking from Google Maps alone, it looks like there are now headstones lining the path which *once* was the Dunning rail right of way.

AD:

Date: March 19, 2010 07:56PM

Thanks for the feedback. I know they weren't "pretty" photos and the clues are really difficult to make out but I enjoy the hunting process. I saw those railroad ties you had mentioned, Graylander. Great obsevation! It made me remember that along Roscoe some people had railroad ties placed between their lawns and the street before they put in the cement curbs back in the late 1980's, early 90's. And thanks, 222! No, no night cemetery walking for me! I will check on the California gate. I remember it being there as well but also believe it is now gone.

AD:

Date: March 21, 2010 04:54PM

222 -- There is still a gate standing at the California/Addison Com Ed facility but it was for the old single track that ran parallel to Addison where a nicely landscaped lawn is now. I can't remember when they pulled up the track and put in the lawn but as I was heading down Addison yesterday I noticed the old gate. Didn't have my camera with me, though. Drat! I'm not sure if this is the old gate you were referring to but will try to take a photo of it this week sometime.

AD:

Date: March 21, 2010 05:40PM

shekaago, this was the location of the gate, it used to be chain link. The nice lawn is to cameras back. I did see what appears to be a gate at Addison and Mozart but I'm not sure that was there back then.

That large building was not there, and the track took a sharp turn to the right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 05:49PM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: March 27, 2010 03:39PM

222 - Yes, that gate at Mozart and Addison is the one I noticed the other day. And, though I'm not 100% sure, I do believe it has been there since the time of the old track because to the west of there is now a parking lot with no current reason to have a gate there to connect that nice lawn with the parking lot. :)
Thanks for the photo and information! I'm still going to get out and about with my camera some day soon. The weather was very nasty and windy on my day off this past week but hopefully I'll have better luck and weather this coming week.

AD:

Date: March 27, 2010 04:22PM

you know? I think your right, the more I think of it, it had to be there. To keep people from walking the track, and into the parking lot.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact