My Personal Homage to a little Fish & Chips Carry-Out Trailer on Western AV, Blue Island

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
My Personal Homage to a little Fish & Chips Carry-Out Trailer on Western AV, Blue Island
Posted by: WindyCityLV ()
Date: January 28, 2010 04:29AM

Back in the 50's, there was a tiny little trailer located on Western Avenue in Blue Island, near Posen (between two busy sets of freight train railroad tracks, on the west side of Western, close to the big old Libby tomato canning factory) that served the most INCREDIBLE FISH 'n' CHIPS in the world. This humble little place was constantly busy, especially on Friday evenings, with long lines of people from all walks of life happily waiting for a delicious dinner, always served in a brown paper bag along with our choice of soda from a cooler near the trailer, which we would enjoy in our cars in the parking lot beneath the stars, always with the sweet scent of fresh tomatoes cooking from the nearby Libby factory drifting through the air. I've frequently ordered fish 'n' chips over the years in many different cities, but nothing has ever been quite as delicious as those paper-bag Friday night dinners at that little trailer in Blue Island so many years ago. I would love to hear from others if they share this memory and if they happen to know more about this neat place.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: My Personal Homage to a little Fish & Chips Carry-Out Trailer on Western AV, Blue Island
Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: October 14, 2012 09:28PM

There was a little shack on north ave between the river bank and the railroad track that sold deep fried shrimp and fish.I've never found a place that could make the shrimp as good.

AD:

Re: My Personal Homage to a little Fish & Chips Carry-Out Trailer on Western AV, Blue Island
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: October 14, 2012 10:29PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a little shack on north ave between the
> river bank and the railroad track that sold deep
> fried shrimp and fish.I've never found a place
> that could make the shrimp as good.

Yes!! The one right underneath the concrete bridge cantilever? That place was good.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact