Unusual factory/small shop at 4112 N California...need info

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Unusual factory/small shop at 4112 N California...need info
Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: January 07, 2010 07:55PM

I've noticed an old small shop/factory at approximately the corner of Belle Plaine and California for a few years. It had an unusual Art Deco-ish/Bauhaus type design...even more unusual was that is was obviously a commercial space smack dab in the middle of residential area....more recently, I noticed it abandoned and falling into disrepair...I always thought this could have been converted into a very cool living/work space/studio...

One day a couple of years back a took I a stroll by it and it was leveled...I've done a couple of searches since then and have noticed condos going up on that property...

the address was approximately 4112-18 N California....if anyone has any fire insurance map, etc info on that location I would love to know what that old building was in it's former life and when it was built.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Unusual factory/small shop at 4112 N California...need info
Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: January 10, 2010 10:52PM

captain54 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've noticed an old small shop/factory at
> approximately the corner of Belle Plaine and
> California for a few years. It had an unusual Art
> Deco-ish/Bauhaus type design...even more unusual
> was that is was obviously a commercial space smack
> dab in the middle of residential area....more
> recently, I noticed it abandoned and falling into
> disrepair...I always thought this could have been
> converted into a very cool living/work
> space/studio...
>
> One day a couple of years back a took I a stroll
> by it and it was leveled...I've done a couple of
> searches since then and have noticed condos going
> up on that property...
>
> the address was approximately 4112-18 N
> California....if anyone has any fire insurance
> map, etc info on that location I would love to
> know what that old building was in it's former
> life and when it was built.

I remember this place when it was open back in the 80's but for the life of me I can't remember what the name was or what they did there. I walked passed it so many times! I too would love to know what it was.

AD:

Date: January 13, 2010 05:34PM

Hey captain 54, did a little bit of searching and found this:http://www.newschicago.org/index.php?search_by=structid_pin&pin=1313323036&structid=01313323036000&search=single_chicago&menu=chicago&display=all

some kind of machine shop?

edit: YES! a machine shop:http://yp.blogflux.com/directory/us/illinois/chicago/u--s-machined-products-co-4110-n-california-ave/

moved to Franklin park??http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=U+%26+S+Machined+Products+Co+chicago+il&fb=1&gl=us&hq=U+%26+S+Machined+Products+Co&hnear=chicago+il&cid=0,0,4124483351102604725&ei=-zBOS6GdFo3-NaGt-fIM&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQnwIwAA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 05:48PM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: January 13, 2010 09:43PM

You totally rock, 222! thanks so much

a machine shop, yes, that's what I thought. Built in 43'.. outstanding.

now if I could only find a pix of the old building, it would the final piece of the puzzle. My friend and I use to go out of our way to stroll past this building, it was so intriguing...

AD:

Date: January 13, 2010 11:59PM

No problem captain I'm glad I found it, as you said we also walk past it all the time also. I did find this:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH8#JnE9eXAuNDExMituK2NhbGlmb3JuaWElMmMrY2hpY2FnbytpbCs2MDYxOCU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj00MS45NTcyMDIwNDU1NjIzJTdlLTg3LjY5NzY3MTg1ODkzOTElN2U0MS45NTU2NTYyNTg0NjI2JTdlLTg3LjY5OTcwMTI0NDU5Mw==

Hit aerial, then bird's eye view then you can swing around and see sides, front, and back. In aerial view you can see the condos going up.
to bad the trees are covering the front!!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 12:22AM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2010 12:09AM

hey captain if you don't mind; when did you live in the area?
I lived on Richmond St.from the late 60's till the late 80's.
by the way that newschicago.org website gives you the build date of almost any building in the city of Chicago!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 12:29AM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2010 04:01AM

I didn't grow up in the area...I lived with my girlfriend at Sunnyside and Troy until a few months ago..we used to walk all over the neighborhood checking out different locations..

the aerial view is great, gives you everything but the front of that building....which was very unique to me...I found it odd that a machine shop would be planted smack dab in the middle of a residential area, across from a park...Very strange!!

there are similiar buildings to that located in Ukraine Village, Wicker Park, etc. and now some in Humboldt Park that have been or art being converted to photography or arts related studios. I always thought that building would have been the perfect candidate for that.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2010 10:35AM

captain54 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't grow up in the area...I lived with my
> girlfriend at Sunnyside and Troy until a few
> months ago..we used to walk all over the
> neighborhood checking out different locations..
>
> the aerial view is great, gives you everything but
> the front of that building....which was very
> unique to me...I found it odd that a machine shop
> would be planted smack dab in the middle of a
> residential area, across from a park...Very
> strange!!
>
> there are similiar buildings to that located in
> Ukraine Village, Wicker Park, etc. and now some in
> Humboldt Park that have been or art being
> converted to photography or arts related studios.
> I always thought that building would have been the
> perfect candidate for that.

Yes it is strange that that building was there, and that it was built in the 40's most of the buildings on Richmond and the surrounding neighborhood were built in the 20's. but, the buildings on California seem a lot newer. I know Horner Park was a brick factory in the early 1900's, after that from about the 30's the company abandoned the site, and the clay pits became a garbage dump. Then in the 40's the CPD bought the land and made the park. I remember our landlord, he was in his 60's back then telling us the story. he grew up in the hood. I also remember as a kid playing in the park hear people say the hill at Horner was made of garbage covered by dirt. But back to our machine shop, I agree that building could have been used for a art studio, too bad it's gone, it was a oddity. BUT if it was built in the 40's I wonder...... what was there before it????

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 12:48PM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2010 01:44PM

a historic aerials search shows from a 1952 view that the machine shop was one of the only structures on the block. That explains why is seems odd that is was planted there. It was there before many residence on that block were built. Also, the Irving Park area near the north branch of the Chicago River was a popular site for industry after 1900 until the 50's.

the 52' view shows the machine shop, and the a few buildings closer to the corner of California and Berteau as the only structures. There is a driveway thru Horner Park, but not much else. The 55 acres of the former brick factory/dump was acquired by the CFD in 46', and they were just beginning to add the courts and ball fields, fieldhouse, etc in the early 50's

the 1938 view shows pretty much an empty space at 4110 N California, but its a little lighter in color so it looks like is was already cleared. The only other structures on that block in 38' were what looks like a small house next to 4110 and another structure way at the other end of the block, almost the corner of Berteau and California.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 03:20PM by captain54.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: January 14, 2010 08:13PM

My grandparents lived in that neighborhood from the mid-1950's to about 1972, and I spent quite a bit of time there when I was a little kid (though I don't recall that particular factory). My grandparents lived about 2 blocks south of Irving Park; I think the street was Francisco. They lived in a brick "raised ranch" (as I now know this style of house is called) which was probably brand-new when they moved in. My recollection of that neighborhood is that there were a mixture of older (pre-WW II) houses and apartment buildings, and some fairly recent post-war buildings, including their house, which corresponds to Captain54's information that there was much new construction in the area in the early 1950's. I also recall quite a number of small factory buildings scattered around the neighborhood, especially on Irving Park.

AD:

Date: January 16, 2010 11:34PM

I remember a factory on the South side of Irving park at the Chicago River, I no longer live in Chicago, but looks like a bunch of apartments or condos have been built there. According to www.newschicago.org it was called Bush Boake Allen INC.
Our old landlord told me there was a bunch of factories all along the North branch of the Chicago River back in the early 1900s.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: August 13, 2010 12:34AM

I went to Gordon Tech in late 70's and was [still] amazed at the 'newer' homes in area. To native Chicagoans, 'newer' used to mean after 1945.

The candy factory at Irving and river used to have butterscotch scent. The ice rink in California Park was opened around 1975, btw

AD:

Date: August 14, 2010 11:43AM

Boy, I had forgotten about the butterscotch smell! I remember the ice rink, went there some times, but never learned how to skate. I also remember the pool spent many hot summer days there. I also went to GT in the early 80's but just my freshmen year, then transferred to Roosevelt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 11:49AM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: August 15, 2010 01:06AM

I graduated GT in '79. The candy factory was running until about 6-7 years ago. But, it took a year or so to tear it down, was built to last. The townhomes took awhile to sell out also.

Near Horner Park is ugliest billboard in city. It's in front of a small house on IP Rd., near Western. Owner relies on $$ from it. I hope it gets removed soon!

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 06:38AM

Also went to GT 79-83 Bowers ink was directly across from horner park west of the river. What a lot of folks don't know is this was part of a large dump centering at Western and Grace .Ran along the river. I don't know how far this extended but due to the "hilly" landscape that this area has I would guess it ran at least as far as California on the west and perhaps eastwood on the north. Id like to know as my never ending quest for "useless information" continues, so thanks for any input.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact