first car

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
first car
Date: October 12, 2015 07:07PM

[b]What was your first car and when and your age?[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: first car
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: October 12, 2015 07:56PM

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger, I was 23, and it was 1978.

Bought it from my grandfather. Nice car, except for the d*mned 4-piston caliper disk brakes in the front. Lost an argument with a short concrete bollard at slow speed.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:36PM

Well, the first car I ever drove was either my grandfather's 1949 Cadillac Fleetwood, or my dad's 1949 Chrysler Windsor. I know the Cadillac was the first car I ever drove in traffic, I was about seven at the time. There was little traffic out here in the Schorsch Village area back then, and my grandfather would let me drive home from St. Joseph's Cemetery. Bear in mind that this was before power steering, and I was about seven (but a pretty big kid). The first car I ever bought myself was a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba. Wonderful car, silver with a silver halo vinyl roof, unfortunately a drunk hit me head on and totalled the car. I did walk out of it tho. Liked the car so much that I bought another Cordoba, and kept the car for years. Now, my retirement project will be to buy a Pierce Arrow. I am already working on plans to add a third bay to my garage which will be insulated and temperature controlled, just for my Pierce!

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: October 12, 2015 11:40PM

The first car I drove was my Dads 1954 88 2Dr. Olds and then I took my drivers test on his 1960 98 Olds loaded. My first car that I bought was a 1962 Buick 2dr. Skylark. In my 54 years of driving I had approximately 21 cars. I'll have to leave that for another time in our discussion. I had many favorites in those 54 years.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: October 13, 2015 03:09AM

In 1974, 19 y/o old me bought a 66 Chevy Bel Air coupe. 283 and a Powerglide, turned 100k the first day I had it. Not bad for $100....

AD:

Date: January 06, 2016 12:56AM

Let's hear from all the car nuts out there in Chicagoland................

AD:

Date: January 06, 2016 12:40PM

Every month I get my copy of Hemmings Motor News and look over the ads from cover to cover, looking at all of the cars that are out there. I will be retiring pretty soon, and I want to get two old cars...first, I want to get a 1949 Chrysler Windsor 4 door sedan. This is the car I grew up with, and I would love to get one. Ours unfortunately met its end in about 1969. Secondly, I have always wanted a Pierce Arrow. I prefer the ones from the last years of the company, maybe 1932-38. They're kind of pricey, but, I don't care to travel or do those other things that retired people do. The biggest problem I see is garaging them. I would like to have temperature controlled storage to keep the cars up, and would have to totally rebuild my garage to accomplish that. Still thinking about how to work around that one.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2016 04:00PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every month I get my copy of Hemmings Motor News
> and look over the ads from cover to cover, looking
> at all of the cars that are out there. I will be
> retiring pretty soon, and I want to get two old
> cars...first, I want to get a 1949 Chrysler
> Windsor 4 door sedan. This is the car I grew up
> with, and I would love to get one. Ours
> unfortunately met its end in about 1969.
> Secondly, I have always wanted a Pierce Arrow. I
> prefer the ones from the last years of the
> company, maybe 1932-38. They're kind of pricey,
> but, I don't care to travel or do those other
> things that retired people do. The biggest
> problem I see is garaging them. I would like to
> have temperature controlled storage to keep the
> cars up, and would have to totally rebuild my
> garage to accomplish that. Still thinking about
> how to work around that one.

I had a 49 New Yorker straight 8 fluid drive. I keep it for 8 years whata car. I had it from 77 till 85. I think the body's were the same as the Windsor not sure though. I retired six years ago and now that I have time to work on toys. I have a 36 Plymouth coup,56 Dodge p.u. and a 72 Chevelle. It's a good hobby and will keep you busy if you do your own work. Hope you find what your looking for and enjoy your retirement.

AD:

Date: January 07, 2016 05:46PM

Trosky-The New Yorker was a little longer than the Windsor due to the straight 8 vs. straight 6 engine. The New Yorker and Saratoga shared the same body, and the Windsor and the Royal shared the shorter body. Recently, a 1949 Windsor was offered in Rhode Island whose original owner was the Governor of Massachusetts, later Secretary of State. Car was in beautiful condition, but of course, not enough money early enough to get it.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2016 12:30AM

Dunning1 I'm sure you'll find the right car when your ready.But the governors car probably had bulletproof glass that would be a plus theses days. Just kidding when you find something let us know.

AD:

Date: January 08, 2016 01:00AM

Hi Guys,
I'm back with my saga of cars that I had over the last 54years of driving since I was sixteen. My next car, the 8th that I purchased new was a 1975 Burnt orange Monte Carlo with all white interior, white leather top, white pin stripe and Vogue tire a real p--p car LOl. My next post I'll tell you what I traded it for one year later. Happy motoring!!!!!!

AD:

Date: January 08, 2016 01:28PM

My next car I just had to have. I traded my 1975 Monte Carlo for a 1973 Mark IV Brown on Matelic Brown, all brown leather seats and as you know Marks are fully loaded. I owned a hot dog vendor business with three mobile trucks at the time and my mechanic owned the Mark so it was in excellent condition. This is one of the many cars I should have kept...

AD:

Date: January 08, 2016 02:33PM

While we deal mainly with Chicago memories on this blog, one thing you might want to try is going to Google books, (not the regular google search, but click on the small link for books) and then enter the year and model of the car you are interested in. Old Popular Mechanics and Popular Science are online. You can even try something like "1952 Desoto Owners Report" and you will get one of those old Floyd Clymer Owner's Reports and road tests of the auto!

AD:

Date: January 08, 2016 10:43PM

I would think anyone into old cars or the memories your car brought to you while growing up in the 50's 60's in Chicago sometime in your life span you would read through the Hemmings Motor Book. Talking about Old Popular Mechanics and Popular Science books I still have around 50 books from the early 40's - 60's. I'll look through them every so often. Brings back many memories of the good old days when card were simple and science projects made easy. Thanks for the info Dunning.

AD:

Date: January 09, 2016 02:02PM

btt

AD:

Date: January 14, 2016 12:30AM

Back to the saga. I still owned my 1973 Mark IV when I bought a used 1974 Rusty Red with a white racing stripe down the middle. It was an automatic but fun to drive.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2016 12:51AM

My next car after I sold my 73 Mark IV and my 64 Camero was a 1978 Blue on Blue 2dr.Ford T Bird. Fully loaded with a Cb Radio lots of fun to have back then in the 70's. I was still single back then, however, found my Sweetheart fell in love and got married in 79. 36 years later she's still my sweetheart and still very, very much in love, however, stay tuned to my next car saga and my next car.

AD:

Posted by: gglow ()
Date: January 23, 2016 08:21PM

First car I drove a '55 Pontiac:then took drivers ed. at Lane Tech.
First new car 1 1970 Olds 442.

AD:

Date: January 25, 2016 12:44AM

Hey Guys,
Back to my saga of cars. After getting married and my wife owned a 73 Pinto and not loaded at all, it did have 4 wheels LOL, however, my wife thought my 78 T Bird was too big for her to drive and it was only 2drs she thought a 4 dr would be more practical so we traded the T Bird and bought a 4dr Chevy Impala, however, we did keep the Pinto and I drove it to work. WOOOOOW. I'll keep you abreast of my next FAMILY car. My life style changed from being single to married, however, no regrets. They were just cars.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: January 25, 2016 12:43PM

ford pinto's were the ones with the easily exploded gas tank from rear collision

AD:

Date: January 25, 2016 10:04PM

I could never understand women being afraid of driving big cars. My mother was always afraid of driving our 1949 Chrysler or the 1965 Chrysler, said they were too big. My grandfather told me however, that my mother used to cruise around with his Pierce Arrow, no power steering, and manual transmission. Go figure.

AD:

Date: January 27, 2016 12:15PM

btt

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: January 29, 2016 04:42PM

I can't speak for all women... but I love driving big cars! :-) I've even owned a few full-size pick-ups. My dad first let me drive his 1960 Ford Galaxie 500 on a road in Fox Lake when I was 10. But getting back on topic... My first car was a soft-top, 1977 Jeep CJ-5 with a 3-speed manual transmission, no power steering and manual hubs you had to get out and lock whenever you wanted to drive it in 4-wheel drive.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: January 30, 2016 03:12AM

Btt.

AD:

Date: January 30, 2016 11:22PM

My saga of cars will continue............

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact