Western Avenue Subway

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Western Avenue Subway
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: September 06, 2015 07:34PM

It's been a while, and the material will probably be uncovered when we move to the farm, but I was looking at the ChicagoL.org site, and could find nothing about this. I saw it in a reprint The Electric Railway Journal, and have a vague recollection of a mention of express tracks, but even just two tracks for half of the ~24 miles of Western within the City would be really expensive.

Still, in mentioning peripheral rapid transit routes, this one would be a pip. It would cross every major radial route out of the Loop. Connections might be a bit more difficult, except at Western and the Eisenhower, but it would cover what had been a major express bus route, and what would be a major proposed BRT route.

Anyone else ever read about this?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Western Avenue Subway
Date: September 06, 2015 07:56PM

[b]say more. don't understand.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 06, 2015 08:34PM

[b]never a subway on western ave. there was a western line crossing fullerton at about 700 west . see encyclopedia chicago "maps" elevated lines.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 06, 2015 10:16PM

It was proposed, Richard. A lot like the Second Avenue subway was proposed for years, but never started, until now. There's no mention of it at the L website, so maybe it was considered too expensive to contemplate. I just wondered if anyone else had heard of it.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: September 07, 2015 12:12PM

How long ago are you talking about?

Early on in Circle line planning, using Western was one of the options.
As far as I can tell, even back then, the fix was in to use Ashland. It still continues with the BRT plans.

Up here in my section, we argued hard that a route from the Armitage station, past Clybourn station and down Western was a more effective option, The only shortcoming would be the need for a new Western ave stop on Lake St.

Although, even then, I thought a better investment would be connecting the two airports with a line along the freight ROW that runs NS over in the K streets.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2015 11:05PM

[b]Never heard of seond ave in Chicago. Where is it.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 08, 2015 01:23AM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never heard of seond ave in Chicago. Where is it.

Not Chicago, Richard. New York. They've been planning to build this route for at least 80 years!

AD:

Date: September 20, 2015 08:42PM

PKDickman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long ago are you talking about?
>
> Early on in Circle line planning, using Western
> was one of the options.
> As far as I can tell, even back then, the fix was
> in to use Ashland. It still continues with the BRT
> plans.
>
> Up here in my section, we argued hard that a route
> from the Armitage station, past Clybourn station
> and down Western was a more effective option, The
> only shortcoming would be the need for a new
> Western ave stop on Lake St.
>
> Although, even then, I thought a better investment
> would be connecting the two airports with a line
> along the freight ROW that runs NS over in the K
> streets.

The original article ran in 1915, I think, and I may have seen something that was from 1920 about it. Can't be sure without having my hands on the reprints, so if anyone knows of any online archives, maybe I can find it.

The line you speak of is mostly the Belt Railway of Chicago. I don't know how much traffic it see these days, but when I was a kid on the SW Side, it was fairly active. Since one of the proposed routes for the Crosstown Expressway appeared to wipe that line out, I have to wonder what would replace it. Now, if the right-of-way is wide enough, it might be possible to run a rapid transit line side-by-side with the freight tracks at the same grade, although it would probably be better if the L was, well, elevated above the BRC trackage.

AD:

Date: January 20, 2016 03:44PM

Btt.

AD:

Date: February 06, 2016 09:35PM

Mtt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact