Beef Stand Of Harrison In The Taylor Stret Neighborhood

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Beef Stand Of Harrison In The Taylor Stret Neighborhood
Posted by: chitransplant ()
Date: July 21, 2015 07:37PM

Does anyone remember a beef stand that used to sell beef sandwiches from an outside stand near a firehouse on one of the streets just south of Harrison in the Taylor Street neighborhood in the 50's and 60's. They had the best beef sandwiches. I heard that the owners later opened a beef stand somewhere east of expressway later but I don't know where.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Beef Stand Of Harrison In The Taylor Stret Neighborhood
Posted by: gglow ()
Date: July 23, 2015 01:30PM

If memory serves me right, I belive it was Al's on Laflin between Harrison and
Flournoy.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 02:37PM

Can you be thinking of Fontano's? They are more well known for their subs, but they did offer Italian beef, and were on Polk Street between Aberdeen and Laflin. Still there as far as I know. I used to run all of those streets back when I worked in the West Loop area. I believe they also had a location near Sears Tower, but not sure if that is still open.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: July 24, 2015 03:41PM

back in the mid-'70s my ol' buddy Rich P. walked me around this neighborhood and introduced me to its secret spots. far and away the best for Italian beef sandwiches--the longest and the cheapest too--was on the southeast corner of Taylor & May - I believe that street address would be 1119 west taylor. I made special trips there often, they were worth going miles out of your way for, but in about 10 years (mid-'80s) they were gone. And I cannot remember what their name was (maybe somebody does). Al's is the last man standing and you're welcome to go there, but I savor the memory of one of their neighbors instead.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:34PM

The best Italian beef sandwiches I ever had were from a small beef stand that used to be on Belmont Avenue, on the south east corner of one of the "O" streets around 7300-7500 west. The place was called Maione's, and it was just a small mom and pop operation, but they had the best Italian beef that I ever had. I think it might be on the same corner where mobster Lenny Patrick built his apartment building, and wonder if their closing up had something to do with mob influence. We were going there in the late 1950's and early 1960's, and have been gone for a long time.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact