Barns

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Barns
Posted by: twaflyer1 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 09:50PM

You folks have got to see what I am about to disclose? OK., go to the corner of Addison and Pulaski, Chicago North side, (Reference point,) then go North on Pulaski to Waveland avenue! (One Block) Go west on Waveland and start driving down each of the next 3-4 Alleys going North to about Addison! You will see a number of old barns, a couple of them in pretty bad shape! Preferably in daylight, get out of the car and look between the cracks in the boards! I swear I saw a couple of strands of Hay in the hayloft! Take pictures if you can, for they won't be there too long I am surmising? I don't live in Chicago anymore, or I would do what I am asking you to do? Have fun...TWA...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Barns
Date: June 25, 2015 10:26PM

I meant go South in those alleys! Also respect property rights! Owners might think you are robbers if you get out of your car and look around!

AD:

Date: June 26, 2015 03:46PM

[b]I did on street view but could't find it.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 26, 2015 04:46PM

BTW - you can't drive westward on Waveland from Pulaski Rd because it's one-way going east

this area is behind the famous La Villa restaurant, whose pizza delivery drivers always clog/block streets & alleys thereby

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 07:09PM

Now the last time I explored the alleys was at least 20 years ago, and it is now 2015! Now a driver would have to go West on Addison and Pulaski, then go east on Waveland a few blocks west of that point! I hope those barns are still there, but no guarantees are made! The one Barn fronted the East side of the ally going South from Waveland, meaning that either kildare or one of the other nearby North/South streets was the street of the one Barn in Question! There were a couple of other Barns in the area too, but I would not venture to say the street alleys they were in! In Fact, an old barn was still viewable near my Mom's home on the 3500 block of ALBANY. right in the dirt alley just south of Addison between Troy and Albany! It's been 10 years though, so economics could have set in, and replaced it! By the way, when it comes to the barn just off Waveland and Pulaski, the owners of the Barns left them for a reason, maybe historic ones! Fingers are crossed hoping they are still there!

AD:

Date: July 17, 2015 11:10PM

[b]How about an approximate address? That would explaine it all.[/b]T

AD:

Date: July 27, 2015 09:28PM

Adresses are so difficult to concoct, but I would just say this! The first street west of Pulaski, on Addison, is the street if I remember correctly! They are all "K's", Kildare, Keating, keeler, Keystone, etc. The address would have to be about 3610 N. Pulaski, or Kildare, on either of those street Alleys! Good Luck! It has been years, so excuse my memory! It was in the Pulaski/Addison st. area though, just North and West of that point!

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 07, 2016 06:35AM

Anyone ever check this out?

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: February 08, 2016 03:41PM

I recall that when I was a kid, we lived in a 2 flat in the 3500 block of north Leavitt street. It was just south of Addison, the 2nd house south of the alley, but the first house south of the alley was a old frame house that had a barn on the back of the lot. It was weathered a dark brown color and I thought it was nifty to have a barn behind your house, as the 2 flat didn't even have a garage. But the big yard gave a great view of this 2 story barn which looked like it was out of an old western movie.
We moved from that house to near Roscoe and Oakley about 1955 and the last time I checked Google street view, the barn and the frame house on that lot are now only memories as is the frame house that was on the other side of the 2 flat. Both frame houses now have been replaced by newly constructed condos. Every once in a while, I look at some old family pictures I have and I have 3 old B&W photos of me in the back yard with a snow man my Dad helped me build and the side of the barn is visible and brings back the memories of that time long ago.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact