Chicken in the rough

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Chicken in the rough
Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: June 11, 2015 08:53PM

Anybody remember eating at "Chicken in the rough". I think it was on Diversey at Rockwell. Served a basket of chicken with honey to put on it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicken in the rough
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 11, 2015 11:48PM

What exactly does that phrase mean? I heard it in a musical scene from a rock and roll movie from 1957. The band was from Memphis and the movie was filmed in Dallas so the phrase was at least regional...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QrggYv13I

AD:

Posted by: EricV ()
Date: June 12, 2015 12:04PM

[url=http://chickenintherough.com/History.html]History of Chicken in the Rough[/url]

AD:

Date: June 13, 2015 05:10PM

Thanks on that history. The one in Chicago that we went to in the 50s, i believe was owned or franchised by Charlie Thompson and if i remember right, his name was on the sign. A neat place for chicken served in a box with honey. Luv to know when it closed.

AD:

Posted by: skipo ()
Date: June 14, 2015 03:31PM

Last time we ate that great chicken dinner was at YOUNKERS, which if I remember correctly was on Chicago Ave west of Michigan Ave back in 1964.
Think they closed late 60's or early 70's.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 15, 2015 03:12PM

I remember the restaurant to the early-80's at least, address 2554 w. diversey

AD:

Date: July 10, 2015 07:23PM

Actually that chicken in the rough place on diversey was called "the round robin"

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: July 11, 2015 02:59PM

yes Round Robin's what I think too (I was viewing chick-in-the-rough as a generic or type description myself)

AD:

Posted by: G. O. Mancer ()
Date: July 19, 2015 09:03PM

Growing up on the North Shore in the 1960s, we would often go bowling at Sportsman's Country Club in Northbtook, followed by supper in the restaurant. I remember seeing Chicken In The Rough on the printed menu, complete with the duffer rooster.

I always had the burger, though.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact