Hot Dog Stand in Dunning

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Hot Dog Stand in Dunning
Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: June 07, 2015 02:32AM

On a island between 3 streets. Addison, Forest Preserve Drive and N. Pacific Drive sits Chucho's Maxwell Street now. As long as I remember that hot dog stand has been there and I'm going back in the 1960's. Does anybody recall who occupied that building after it was built? I do know it was a hot dog fast food joint.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Hot Dog Stand in Dunning
Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 08, 2015 02:43AM

I can remember that hot dog stand from the 1970's as well. Cragin, your not going to believe this, according to Cook County records, that building was built around 1901! The address is 7955 W Forest Preserve BLVD, Chicago, Illinois per Cook County records. I was looking at the HistoricAerial Photo of this location and and I really can't see a building there in the 1939 Photo. I can see one in the 1951 photo. Maybe something was there in 1901 or a mistake.

Here is a picture of it as of 2008.

http://cookviewer1.cookcountyil.gov/jsviewer/PhotoProxy.aspx?12241040010000=

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 03:59AM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: June 08, 2015 11:35AM

Again, I have lived most of my life along Addison Street, and I can remember that stand being there long before Forest Preserve Drive was widened, and when the intersection of Forest Preserve and Addison was just a four way stop.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: June 09, 2015 10:59PM

Dunning1, I can't remember Forest Preserve Dr. being just a double lane. I had family that lived on Overhill just a few houses south of Forest Preserve Drive. I can think back to the early 1960's around there but can't remember details.
rjmachon, that sure is strange and I looked up the address also and came up with being built in 1898. http://commercial-real-estate.findthedata.com/l/3683972/7955-W-Forest-Preserve-Ave-Chicago-IL-60634
But on aerial views you don't see a building in that location from 1939 like you mentioned. When looking closely at the building you can tell its old. I'm thinking something else was there before. I just wonder why something was built on that odd piece of land back then? Maybe someone will come up with a answer. Thanks

AD:

Date: June 10, 2015 12:31PM

Yeah, we moved into the neighborhood in 1953, but my grandfather was building houses in the Schorsch Village area back in the mid 1920's. Most of the side streets out by us were just asphalt strips with gravel or cinders on the side, nor were the alleys paved. Forest Preserve Drive used just to be a two lane strip, and ended at Cumberland, or Pueblo as it was called back then. The extension through the forest preserves to Belmont was a big deal back then, and I think that happened in the early 1960s. My grandfather was convinced that 7 years old was old enough to drive, so I would go out with him to St. Joseph's Cemetery and practice driving, and if I did all right, I would drive all the way home. I was pretty familiar with the streets out there.
Another interesting item that not many people would remember would be the three different Addison Street buses we had. The regular 152 Addison bus did not end at Lake Shore Drive as it does now, but would go down the Inner Drive, Sheridan Road, Stockton Drive, the Inner Drive again, down Michigan Avenue, turn right on Congress, north on State St., to Randolph, back to Michigan and back out west. There were also the Addison Limited, which followed the route down Addison, then took the Outer Drive, express, to Michigan and Oak and then follow the regular route. The real hotshot bus, tho, was the Addison Heights Express, and that bus ran the regular route, but would only make stops at connecting lines east of Cicero Avenue, and take the Outer Drive route downtown. You could make it all the way downtown in one seat, and probably in less time than today!

AD:

Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: June 14, 2015 02:19AM

I too remember Forest Prserve dr being 2 lanes. I also remember before they widened it and put in the curve west of Cumberland. Friday night and sometimes Saturday night were drag racing nights on FPD west of Cumberland. This was when FPD met Belmont just east of the river. It was not uncommon for a car to take the turn at Belmont too fast and end up in the river. I'm convinced this is why they put in the curve along the golf course.

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie ()
Date: July 19, 2015 03:55PM

Dunning wasn't that a Mental institution run by Cook County? Many people died there 35,000 plus with no records kept.

AD:

Date: July 20, 2015 01:33PM

Dunning was in fact a mental hospital, but the whole area is also called Dunning. It was named after a farmer who originally had a farm in the area.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact