Mid City Golf Course

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Mid City Golf Course
Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 11:38PM

Once upon a time, the area between Western Avenue and the river and, roughly, between Revere Park and Addison was a golf course, Mid City. According to what I heard of the neighborhood history, that area was a clay pit and brick making area after the fire of 1871, then later, the city decided to fill the area with garbage and it became what is known as the Grace Street Dump. There are a few pictures of the Grace Street Dump on a Library of Congress website, but after the dump was closed, the area was re-purposed, covered with dirt, and made into Mid City Golf Course.
Now, this was way before my time and I can only remember stories my Dad told me, that the course abutted the south end of Revere Park and Dad told me that errant shots sometimes landed on the Revere Park side of the fence and kids would ransom the balls for the golfers for 5 or 10 cents. He said that the clubhouse was on the Southwest corner of Western and Grace, where a Illinois Bell/Ameritech building now stands. My earliest memory of that area is standing on the East side of Western with my Dad, watching the foundation for that building being dug about 1957. I also remember playing out in the area that is now WGN studios on Bradley Place and playing on what must have once been a green and sand traps, but that's pretty vague after these many years.
I have searched in vain for any information about this course, there seems to be no photographs, written information, or much of anything to document its existence; does anything, a photograph, a scorecard, exist to give an idea of what it might have looked like?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mid City Golf Course
Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: June 01, 2015 09:57AM

Don't know anything about the golf course, but I also heard that Horner Park to the Northwest of the area your taking about. Was also a clay pit and brick making area, and latter a garbage dump before they turned it to the park. There is a thread on here that mentions the golf course, but I believe someone said it was a driving range? If I can find it again I will post the link.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: June 01, 2015 06:40PM

These two items; found searching - Mid City Golf Course chicago - at Google Books - https://books.google.com/?hl=en

Built in 1924 - - https://books.google.com/books?id=WlQ3AQAAIAAJ&q=Mid+City+Golf+Course+chicago&dq=Mid+City+Golf+Course+chicago&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lr5sVYrHDcafsAXirYGoCA&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAzgK

The new Lane Tech HS was built on part of the Mid-City Golf Course - - https://books.google.com/books?id=9QJrAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA276&dq=Mid+City+Golf+Course+chicago&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7LtsVZX0JoLusAXdrIDAAg&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Mid%20City%20Golf%20Course%20chicago&f=false

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 06:49PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: bowler ()
Date: June 02, 2015 05:59PM

Tons of information in the Chicago Tribune Historical Archives. It can be accessed through the Chicago Public Library. Even if you don't live in the city you can get either a reciprocal library card or an online E-card. I'd be happy to assist with any questions. Please call me at the Clearing Library in Chicago 312-747-5657 (Rob).

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: June 02, 2015 06:10PM

Did you mean between "Riverview Park" and Addison? Mid City was a driving range west of Lane Tech even after the school was built.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 03, 2015 06:15PM

222 here's the link!

Empty parking lot west side of Lane Tech Stadium?

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/5/6178/15859/re__empty_parking_lot_west_side_of_lane_tech_stadium_#msg-15859

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: June 04, 2015 09:38AM

Thanks rjmachon!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact