Oz Park

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Oz Park
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: April 03, 2015 07:32PM

Has anyone ever visited Oz Park; if you have, what impression, if any, did it leave with you?

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/Oz-Park/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oz+Park/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x880fd3112a465479:0xdce64f280638e319?gl=US&hl=en

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 09:42AM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Oz Park
Posted by: PHILC ()
Date: April 04, 2015 01:35PM

My great grandparents lived in what is now the middle of Oz Park, so I sort of lament the transition to a park. But I suspect that at the time the area was cleared, it was quite different than the 1870s.

I've been at Oz Park and it does not do much for me. With Lincoln Park a few blocks to the east it does not seem like there was an "public p[ark desert" in the area. It seems like it is more of a convenient place for the students at Lincoln Park HS to hang out between and after classes.

AD:

Date: April 04, 2015 03:25PM

PHILC, thanks for your reply.

Two of my elementary school classmates lived in homes on Pearl Court, which I visited in the mid 40s. Pearl Court was located between Dickens and Webster; and about mid way between Burling and Orchard; within the western side of OZ Park; as was the Saint Joseph School of Nursing buildings("Some 1,504 nurses graduated from the school prior to its closing in 1964") on Burling. St. Joseph Hospital, built in 1872, on the west side of Burling street, was also a victim of urban removal of the area.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 09:01AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: April 07, 2015 03:39PM

Two of my aunts lived on Orchard and their backyard emptied out onto Pearl Court. Photos that I have show a line of backyards on the Orchard side and views of Webster from north Orchard. And Oz park doesn't do anything for me either.

AD:

Date: April 07, 2015 06:01PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two of my aunts lived on Orchard and their
> backyard emptied out onto Pearl Court. Photos that
> I have show a line of backyards on the Orchard
> side and views of Webster from north Orchard. And
> Oz park doesn't do anything for me either.

zorchvalve,

I would be interested in seeing the photos. My classmates' homes were both located on the west side of Pearl Court.

See Robinson's Atlas of the City of Chicago, 1886

Volume 3, Plate 25

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/11064.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 06:08PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Longford ()
Date: April 20, 2015 01:57AM

Relocating/removing the people and buildings which sat where today's Oz Park is was probably one of the more shameful/embarrassing moments of urban renewal in Chicago. An early move to gentrify that part of the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact