Galewood / N Austin Ave former railway yard

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Galewood / N Austin Ave former railway yard
Posted by: mfhercules ()
Date: February 10, 2015 11:41AM

For an architectural research, I am looking for ANY more information about the red marked buildings:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/r64MQs] [/url]

This is the site on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/UI4uM

Specially the large buildings (3 and 4), what was their purpose? And what function had the round building on the historic photo?

Any help is appreciated :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 11:42AM by mfhercules.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Galewood / N Austin Ave former railway yard
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: February 10, 2015 12:40PM

Please, more information is needed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 02:19PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: February 10, 2015 02:59PM

Galewood was developed by Abram Gale, it was a 320 acre community in what is now the North Austin neighborhood of Chicago. Unfortunately your posted photos are too small to see any detail, but I will assume that your mention of a round building might have been a round house used for the servicing of locomotives. Are you overseas? Google Maps shows German labels when I view your link.

You might try www.historicaerials.com and enter Bloomingdale & Austin, Chicago, IL. You will find a number of aerial surveys listed by year, scroll north to see the rail yard. Bloomingdale Ave will be about two blocks south of the rail yard shown on the earlier photos.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: February 10, 2015 03:45PM

Most of the south side of the railroad right of way was Zenith Radio Corporation. The main entrance to the compound was just south of the railroad viaduct at 1900 N. Austin Avenue. I believe they also had some buildings on the north side of the railroad, as I remember bringing my Trans Oceanic radio into a factory service shop along Dickens Avenue some time back then. I believe some of the buildings were originally Grunow-Grigsby (Majestic) radio, and at one time Webster-Chicago (Webcor) was also located along the railroad. Just north of the tracks, on Narragansett, on the site of the bakery and storage facility, was Joseph Lumber Company. I used to go there with my dad a lot. I later found out that the Joseph family also owned Playskool, and supplied all of the wood for the toys used there out of their lumber yard.

AD:

Date: February 10, 2015 04:58PM

Strange, the link to flickr didn't work properly: https://flic.kr/p/r64MQs

Thanks you so much Dunning, this is exactly what I was looking for. You are helping a lot!

AD:

Date: February 10, 2015 07:05PM

Just did a little further checking and it seems that while Webcor (Webster Chicago) was located a little east of your location, at 5622-5708 W. Bloomingdale (south side of the tracks), Majestic/Grigsby-Grunow was located on Dickens and I can't find an exact address. I did find an article stating that Zenith bought their buildings at a bankruptcy auction in June of 1936, so I assume they must be the buildings north of the tracks that Zenith occupied.

AD:

Date: February 10, 2015 07:12PM

Just found the address of Majestic at 5801 W. Dickens. If you scroll on this link, you will find pictures of the manufacturing plants.

https://books.google.com/books?id=OMqvQcHovzgC&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=majestic+radio+factory+location&source=bl&ots=b94hKPPNrj&sig=J7gzaWn5uLXUYUe2-16AGc6HbEo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-IHaVIvbGsKdgwTh54OYBg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=majestic%20radio%20factory%20location&f=false

AD:

Date: February 10, 2015 07:18PM

Hah! Even better! A history of Zenith from the 1950's showing aerial views of the plants throughout the city!

http://www.myantiqueradio.com/zenith/Zenith_Story.pdf

AD:

Date: February 11, 2015 08:34AM

Wow, very useful! I found the manufacturing drawings which indeed prove that the buildings North of the tracks were first Majestic, later Zenith. It seems Zenith is now part of LG and moved out of Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: February 12, 2015 08:02PM

I took a look at Sanborn Fire Maps and the round building, mentioned above, was indeed the Galewood Shops roundhouse for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific R. R. The Sanborn Maps also show the old Grigsby-Grunow radio tube plant.

AD:

Date: February 13, 2015 01:36PM

Zenith had plants all over Chicago, and its shutdown was a major loss to the Chicago area. In addition to the Galewood complex, Zenith had a picture tube plant at Montrose and the Kennedy Expressway (Rauland) as well as another facility on North Avenue in Melrose Park, and what I believe was a distribution center on Northwest Avenue in Northlake along I-294. Zenith also had a hearing aid factory on Grand, I believe at the corner of Natoma Avenue, just south of the present Brickyard shopping center. The west/northwest side was loaded with radio manufacturers, with Motorola occupying an Art Moderne building at 4545 W. Augusta Avenue, and Admiral Corporation had a complex just south and east of Armitage and Pulaski. Webcor, Majestic, and others were all strung along the Milwaukee Road right of way also. Interestingly, my dad told me that Majestic actually started as a "battery eliminator" company, building transformers that would power a battery operated radio, in the 4300 block of Armitage Avenue. The current strip mall was actually a block of old store fronts which was moved to the back of the property to accommodate parking. My dad worked there probably in the early to mid 1920's.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: February 13, 2015 05:18PM

"The quality goes in before the name goes on"

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 07, 2016 01:12AM

Btt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact