Hamburger joints

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hamburger joints
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 04, 2015 11:35PM

Does anyone remember the name of the hamburger joint on 55th and Damen, alittle west of Damen. They also sold the little square hamburgers like White Castle and Whimpys for.13cents back in the 50's.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Hamburger joints
Date: February 08, 2015 10:33PM

Does anyone remember the Leo's Castle Hamburger stand a couple blocks east of Cornell Square Park. It was next to a liquor store/tavern. Later in the early 60's they built a sit in hamburger place, still called Leo's Castle.

AD:

Date: February 09, 2015 12:22AM

[b]Me and my brotherinlaw took over the hamburger stand on 51st & wolcott across from cornel park. That's when leo opend up at 51st & hermitage. The building is still there but another returant is there. Leo died a ffew years ago but his nephew opened up the Patio on 92nd & Harlem.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: February 09, 2015 12:30PM

Leo's Castle was owned by Leo Roupas, the grandfather of a friend of mine. He also recorded several records with his bouzouki of Greek music. I believe he died back in the 1970's. His son John, my friend's father, died about 2 years ago. His grandson, Lee, my friend, is the "card hard" guy in the posters you see in establishments that sell liquor. He works for the Liquor Control Commission.

AD:

Date: February 09, 2015 07:00PM

Leo's had great hamburgers. We couldn't eat meat on Fridays, being Catholic, so we waited for our dad to come home from work at 1am and he brought us hamburgers from Leo's.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F ()
Date: February 09, 2015 11:50PM

I was in there as late as Fall 1977.

AD:

Date: February 10, 2015 12:13AM

[b]I also know Lee and his father when he was a young boy and the rest of his family back then. Leo lived on 51st & California back then. Did you know Teddy? I think he was Leo's nephew and Gust who opened up on 51st then on 92nd & Harlem.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: locoengineer ()
Date: June 02, 2015 12:56AM

My wife's father worked at Leo's part time----not sure what years however...

AD:

Date: June 02, 2015 11:52PM

In the mid 50's we use to go to a joint called Dipsey Doodles on 56th and Pulaski. Great hambugers and Great ice cream.

Rich you should remember this place it wasn't too far from Rex TV repair.

AD:

Posted by: bmm ()
Date: June 08, 2015 11:03PM

My dad would do the same thing. He was usually on Fridays and would call just before midnight to see what we wanted...Good hamburgers and nice memories.
I was trying to remember the name of the old dance hall or club at 51st & Damen-I passed it all the time as a kid.

AD:

Date: June 09, 2015 08:44PM

BMM: It was called Paradise Groove part of Monno's Tap across the street. It was closer to 52nd & Damen. I went to school with Beverly Monno.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: June 13, 2015 12:43AM

There was a hamburger joint on Cicero Ave. just south of Belmont on the east side of the street. The building is now gone. But the place was very small with maybe 6 stools along the counter. It use to be open 24/7 and outside the sign just said "Hamburgers". The former owner of the Bel-Park deli told me way back the place was there for many years and attracted some people who just left the former Luna Theatre. I remember the place closing in the late 1980's and it turned into a Mexican restaurant which didn't last very long.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 13, 2015 06:21PM

yes I remember it from when I moved to that area in 1981, the hamburger'diner'-like place on the east side of Cicero, perhaps at the southern edge of the Walgreens parking lot? (or in some lot just a little further south from there)

AD:

Date: August 04, 2015 02:12AM

Does anyone remember Bulow's Hamburgers around 1953-1955 on Pulaski and 83rd street before there were gas stations nearby and before the strip mall. Best hamburgers, with real tomatoes and pickles and lettuce, and great buns.

AD:

Date: August 04, 2015 04:42PM

My grandfather would always take my mother shopping once a week, we would go to High Low in the 2600 block of N. Harlem, and then up to CMA, in the 4700 block of N. Harlem. Between the two stores, we would either stop at Mrs. Murphy's Hamburgers, on the east side of Harlem just north of Montrose, where Rex Italian Foods now sits, or at Henry's Hamburgers, on Harlem south of Cornelia. There are apartment buildings there now, but for years the old Henry's was owned by an older guy who made it a slot car track, and later some kind of resale store. He was kind of a strange guy, and never really wanted to sell you anything. I believe he passed away, and the old Henry's was torn down and the apartments built.

AD:

Date: August 05, 2015 01:41PM

yeah I remember that old resale store there on the west side of harlem, run by a somewhat strange guy and it's true it you got into a discussion with him about something of interest he had he responded as if he didn't really want to sell it. this'd be 20-25 years ago, and while I'm glad to know it wasn't just me I do wish i'd've found an acceptable way to really reach him then

AD:

Date: August 05, 2015 02:14PM

mogra-Do you live in the neighborhood? I would see the guy hanging around restaurants when the store was closed, drinking coffee, and arguing with other older guys. He had a kind of pointy beard, and always wore a really tall cowboy hat, drove a Dodge sedan that was about thirty years old back then...

AD:

Posted by: dkennycpd ()
Date: August 07, 2015 04:42AM

I worked at Red's Drive-in, a very popular burger place on 111th St. just west of Western. The parking for Beverly Art Center now occupies the spot. My sister's worked around the corner at Jumbo Dog on Western at about 11045 south. CVS now occupies that spot.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: August 07, 2015 10:53PM

I worked directly across from Henrys drive in for 30+ years and we carried out food for lunch until it closed and "the goat" took it over to sell mini-bikes around 1970. He was a "Speedway" dealer for a long time. You could try them out in his parking lot. When the minibikes died out he started his junk business selling anything he could find. My boss tried to buy the place for a parking lot for our employees but he always claimed the place was worth a million and years later sold it off to the developers of those condos. Lost track of him after that when we moved the company to Elmhurst. Loved the food at Franksville.

AD:

Posted by: tomg ()
Date: August 13, 2015 10:27PM

I don't go as far back as the 50's, but I remember going to Bulow's from the mid to late 60's back when I was about five years old and up. I don't remember too much about the hamburgers, but I do recall the soft serve ice cream cones and the picnic benches they had outside. I seem to remember the outside of the building was brown. At that time, the Fairway Foods was there, across Pulaski and a little bit south. Johns tavern was on the south east corner, and next door to that was I think John's Coiffures? I'm not sure if the Standard gas station was there at that time on the north west corner, same with the south west corner, if it was a Citgo. I think Bulow's may have went out of business around the time the McDonald's went up on 84th and Pulaski. Would be great to see some pictures of those areas from that time. Thanks for bringing back good memory of a great neighborhood of the past.

AD:

Date: August 14, 2015 12:07AM

locoengineer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife's father worked at Leo's part time----not
> sure what years however...

What was his name? I mjght know him.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: August 14, 2015 04:28PM

The place at Belmont & Cicero was called Don's grill. I believe the sign said "humburgers". There was another one by 19th & Western.

AD:

Date: August 14, 2015 05:17PM

@ 19th & Western DON's Grill still is there, I walk by it all the time but I'm too conflicted to be a good customer and order much beyond the occaisional French fry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2015 04:23PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Date: August 15, 2015 01:26AM

There was a Gus's Grill on 63Rd and Western Ave next to the alley and a couple of doors away from the Highway Theater. They were juicy, greasey and loaded with grilled onions. What a smell. I went to St Rita High School in the 60's and then worked at American Can Co down the block. The same old great hamburger as I remembered. I wonder if it's still there.

AD:

Date: August 15, 2015 04:25PM

just east of western on 95th there's a great old restaurant still very popular for hamburgers that I eat at every now and then, of course after that you turn onto western and have the perfect Rainbo Cone desert (doesn't get much better than that does it?)

AD:

Date: August 15, 2015 11:54PM

After golfing at Evergreen Country Club we use to go to Rainbo. Great sherbert!

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2015 12:01AM

When I turned five years old my dad took me out for lunch for a hamburger and a milk shake. The place was north of 115th on Western on the east side before were Evergreen plaza is. I don't know the name of the place or if the food was good but when you ordered your food he clipped the order to a wire and set it back to the kitchen by kinda throwing it. In a short time you heard a whistle blow and out came your lunch on a train. It stopped in front of you with your order you grab it the horn blows again and away it goes. Went there many times after that and if it was still there I'd go again. I'm not really looking for the name of this place but since I've found his forum, It's bringing back a lot of old memory's. Thanks for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 12:05AM by Trosky.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: October 01, 2015 12:26AM

Trosky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I turned five years old my dad took me out
> for lunch for a hamburger and a milk shake. The
> place was north of 115th on Western on the east
> side before were Evergreen plaza is. I don't know
> the name of the place or if the food was good but
> when you ordered your food he clipped the order to
> a wire and set it back to the kitchen by kinda
> throwing it. In a short time you heard a whistle
> blow and out came your lunch on a train. It
> stopped in front of you with your order you grab
> it the horn blows again and away it goes. Went
> there many times after that and if it was still
> there I'd go again. I'm not really looking for the
> name of this place but since I've found his forum,
> It's bringing back a lot of old memory's. Thanks
> for that.

There's a hamburger joint like that in Des Planes.

AD:

Date: October 01, 2015 11:07AM

[b]an woods on Sundays. A lotMy mom tookus to Rainbow cones when we went to Dan Ryan Woods where ther were many Polish bands and dancing. That was in the 40's and I'm 79.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: carmech ()
Date: October 01, 2015 06:00PM

I worked at Hoffel-Goy Ford in the late 60's. We used to go to lunch
at that 115th and Western Hamburger joint named Snackville Junction.
Us big kids enjoyed that as well.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact