Info on 1000 West 63rd Street.

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Info on 1000 West 63rd Street.
Posted by: psk87 ()
Date: January 27, 2015 11:12AM

Hi guys,

Visitor from the UK here.

I was taking a walk around a few neighbourhoods in Chicago when I was there last year and took a few photographs. Looking back through I remember a building standing out to me, as most of the intersection had been demolished apart from this building.

The building in question is number 1000 and 1002 West 63rd St at the intersection with South Morgan St. One of the shops is a little deli named 'Fire n' Ice'.

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this building (date built, original purpose etc.), and any information on the history of the neighbourhood around it. Any old pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance guys.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Info on 1000 West 63rd Street.
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: January 27, 2015 03:43PM

The building you mention is in the Englewood neighborhood - a search on Google will give you tons of information, historic and recent, about what the neighborhood was like and where it's headed now.

If I'm remembering correctly, that building was at one time either an auto parts store or sold tires or both...there was a big tire-shaped neon sign hanging on the corner that disappeared maybe 10 years ago.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: January 28, 2015 08:36PM

This is a couple of blocks east of that, but it'll give you an idea of what that area was like as recently as the 1950s.

AD:

Date: January 31, 2015 09:21PM

[b]Engelwood was like going downtown back then. There were about ten movie houses and many buisnesses . It changed after the area changed. Then the area became a slum.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: SS1960 ()
Date: February 19, 2015 12:42PM

In the mid '60s - '7os it was indeed an auto parts store named Major Motors.
They were a small local chain that sold parts and tires. They would add a rather large toy department around Christmas, at least at that location.

AD:

Date: February 19, 2015 05:33PM

[b]It was Major Auto Parts.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 20, 2015 12:36AM

South Ashland and South Halsted was our Downtown back in the 50's. Most Sundays we would window shop because most stores were closed on Sundays. Now stores are open 365 days. Families can't even spend the holidays together, especially on Christmas. Someone always has to leave to go to work. What have we become!!!

AD:

Posted by: skj ()
Date: June 16, 2015 11:18PM

As a 16 year old, I worked as a sales girl for 70/cents an hour at Kresge's at the corner of 63rd and Halsted. Worked the purse counter. Saturdays were very busy. Would run up to White Castle for a plate of 15cent burgers. The place would be swamped with customers.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: June 17, 2015 11:44PM

Whimpy Hamburgers was located on 63rd and Halsted across the street from White Castle and the Southtown Show.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact