La Hacienda Del Sol

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
La Hacienda Del Sol
Posted by: fstaniec ()
Date: October 05, 2014 02:38PM

I have a question I hope someone can answer. I grew up at 525 Armitage which was Hollerbach Funeral Home (corner of Armitage and Mohawk). When I was a kid we used to go to La Hacienda Del Sol a lot at 1945 Sedgwick. My mom and I were trying to remember the owners name in the 60's. I know they lived north on Sedgwick and their kids attended St. Michael's grammar school as I did. Any help would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: La Hacienda Del Sol
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: October 05, 2014 03:58PM

fstaniec Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a question I hope someone can answer. I
> grew up at 525 Armitage which was Hollerbach
> Funeral Home (corner of Armitage and Mohawk).
> When I was a kid we used to go to La Hacienda Del
> Sol a lot at 1945 Sedgwick. My mom and I were
> trying to remember the owners name in the 60's. I
> know they lived north on Sedgwick and their kids
> attended St. Michael's grammar school as I did.
> Any help would be appreciated!

In the 60s, the owner was Alfred Pizano.
In the 70s, Teresa and John Schaffer.

AD:

Posted by: fstaniec ()
Date: October 05, 2014 07:39PM

Thanks so much, that answers the question. I appreciate the help.

AD:

Posted by: RGrover ()
Date: October 05, 2014 09:49PM

I moved to Old Town in 1981,and that quickly became our favorite restaurant. We lived on North Park so it was a short walk. I don't remember who owned it, but we were sad when (we assume) it changed hands & was remodeled maybe mid-late 80's. It wasn't the same place that we'd loved.I think it closed shortly thereafter.

AD:

Posted by: charles ()
Date: October 06, 2014 05:40AM

They really new how to prepare skirt steak - blackened on the outside yet rare and tender on the inside.
Most favorite dish was what they called the Fondue a la Hacienda, a bubbly cheese fondue with sterno surrounded by the aforementioned skirt steak cut in strips.

Great restaurant along with so many other places in the Lincoln Park area during that era - Bengal Lancer's, The Bulls (jazz club), Clark St. Cafe, and of course Ray and Joey Meyer's DePaul Blue Demon Final Four basketball team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 05:42AM by charles.

AD:

Posted by: mama5tris ()
Date: February 08, 2015 11:47AM

How fun to see the interest in La Hacienda Del Sol. It was my grandparents restaurant, John & Theresa Schaffer. They were partners with Alfred. You will be interested to know that it has never changed hands. The building is still in the original family. My favorite dish was Steak fondue, skirt steak dipped in cheese fondue & the nachos. One of the chefs still work for our family in food service. I have unbelievable memories of the fountain, rosy the parrot, Pio Mama (the burro in front). I have yet to find a restaurant that I love as much as the food from La Hacienda.
I appreciate seeing that others had memories of my favorite restaurant.

AD:

Posted by: czechguy ()
Date: April 21, 2015 09:55PM

I to loved the La Hacienda Del Sol.....My favorite dish was called "Caporales" which was a marinated steak meat served in a fajita style.......I ordered it every time I was there.....Spent many friday nites there...Never found another restaurant that had marinated steak meat like they had.......

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: April 22, 2015 12:48PM

I dined twice @ LHDS with friends, probably '72 & '75, great steaks and gave me a taste for margaritas

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie ()
Date: July 19, 2015 04:16PM

Drank my first margarita there, took my Mexican girl friend there, it was a night I will never forget. Like they say I scored a Home Run.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact