French Laundry?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
French Laundry?
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: September 29, 2014 08:15PM

Next door to the building that I lived in during the late 40s and early 50s, was a small grocery store that I was surprised and puzzled to discover had been a laundry from 1910 to 1930. Polk's 1928-29 Chicago Street Guide and Places of Business, revealed that it once was a "French Hand Laundry", and that the Census for the years of 1910, 1920 and 1930, indicated that persons living at that address had also had "laundry" occupations. I was able to find a definition of the name: a laundry that "steamed cleans delicate fabrics."

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of, or has heard about, a similar named laundry with this exotic title in their neighborhood, which seems to have only existed since the 1930s ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 06:05PM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: French Laundry?
Date: September 29, 2014 09:18PM

[b]Never hears of it.[/b]

AD:

Re: French Laundry?
Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: October 04, 2014 06:10PM

There's the Hollywood Cleaners in Wicker Park, 1438 N Milwaukee Ave. They use to advertize on cleaning formal wear and gowns. They have been there for over 66 years!

https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=hollywood%20cleaners%20chicago

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact