Polka Dot house, Addison & Oak Park?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Polka Dot house, Addison & Oak Park?
Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: September 06, 2014 04:24AM

I have a vague memory of my Dad showing me a house painted in polka dots during the late 60's. I think it was on the west side of Rutherford av just south of Addison. Dioes anyone else remember this house?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Polka Dot house, Addison & Oak Park?
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: September 06, 2014 01:23PM

I also remember the "Polka Dot House." It was located at 3554 N. Natoma.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2014 04:18PM

Do you remember the year or years?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: September 08, 2014 01:06PM

That house was on the SW corner of Natoma and Addison. It was called the "Smedjkal Farm." I believe the owner was a industrial arts teacher at one of the local high schools. The house was built back on the lot, and covered two city lots. A few years ago when the owner died from cancer, I believe his heirs sold the house and it was torn down, two newer homes were built on the lot. I grew up in the neighborhood, matter of fact the house mentioned above on Rutherford is actually mine....remember this house well. He always went "over the top" for Christmas decorations.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: September 08, 2014 03:24PM

According to a 1962 Tribune Article, this house was painted with polka dots in 1961. Another article from 1966 shows that it was still painted with polka dots until that time. If you would like PDF copies of the Trib Articles about this house, please PM me and I'd be happy to email them to you!

AD:

Date: September 09, 2014 02:42AM

I do appreciate the replies. My wife is from the Joliet area and didn't know any of this stuff. When I first told her about this, she probably thought I was nuts. This wouldn't be the first time... (:P)

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact