Corner Building@ 61st and King Dr.?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Corner Building@ 61st and King Dr.?
Posted by: Chistorian51 ()
Date: August 26, 2014 01:37PM

Hello all, I am new to the forum. This particular building seems interesting, wondering if anybody had any info on it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.73612305,d.aWw,pv.xjs.s.en_US.Ifi0FqsBUmI.O&biw=1024&bih=704&wrapid=tljp140906661163420&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=6100+S.+Martin+Luther+KIng+Dr&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=41.783858,-87.615722&cbp=13,296.3,0,0,0&cbll=41.783851,-87.615704&sa=X&ei=fab8U9-mCdLjyASZsIHADQ&ved=0CB4QxB0wAA

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Corner Building@ 61st and King Dr.?
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: August 26, 2014 11:13PM

I checked in the Polks Directory and it didn't seem like there was anything of any note occupying the building even then - grocery store, cigar shop, clothing, etc. Certainly nothing as interesting as the terra cotta would suggest.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: August 27, 2014 05:31PM

A lot of that rich and highly ornamented terra cotta was actually an "off the shelf" product back then, or, more accurately, out of the catalog. Architects/builders could select patterns, etc and combine them as they wished (I'm sure custom colors and patterns were available too). Hence, some fantastic buildings which are actually pretty modest (or were in cost). As an aside there used to be a white terra cotta house in Porter Beach, Indiana, in the swamp portion of town, tucked away, which was demolished to restore the wetlands in the early 80's.

AD:

Date: August 28, 2014 01:48PM

Wow interesting. Its amazing how well taken care of the exteriors are, especially since this building is literally the last on standing in the entire sqaure block. It would be great to see this building brought back to life and returned to its glory i.e. 305 E. Garflield Blvd.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:45PM

@ Chistorian51, The corner building was built around 1901.

AD:

Date: August 31, 2014 01:30PM

@Chistorian51 - there's a newly-opened coffee shop in a white-and-green glazed brick building on 61st and Eberhart, so it looks like at least a small bit of good news is happening in a neighborhood that really needs it...

AD:

Date: October 06, 2014 01:39AM

At one point during the '50s, one of the storefronts in this building housed the Archway Lounge, a supper club and show lounge on the northern edge of the 63rd/Cottage Grove entertainment district.

AD:

Date: October 08, 2014 12:51PM

Yes WayOut the "Green Line Cafe" Ive been there a few times, they have a great cup of coffee. The nieghborhood appears to be in the early stages of redevelopment, all along Cottage Grove new buildings are going up. I can just imagine what West Woodlawn looked like in its heyday, a race track and 2 amusement parks all within a 1/2 mile of each other. How things have changed!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact