Ever hear of Shady Cottage bar allegedly around Harlem & Belmont?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Ever hear of Shady Cottage bar allegedly around Harlem & Belmont?
Posted by: ChicagoHal ()
Date: July 31, 2014 02:45PM

Bought a sign that says "Shady Cottage". The person claimed it was from their grandad's bar on the North side. They thought near Harlem and Belmont. Wondered if anyone heard of it and/or knew where it had been.

I couldn't find it using a couple of quick Google searches, so thought I'd reach out for anyone who might have any memories of the place.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Ever hear of Shady Cottage bar allegedly around Harlem & Belmont?
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: July 31, 2014 07:45PM

How old is the sign?
In the twenties there was a road house by that name around Mannheim & St Charles.
In the forties, there was a tavern and trailer park by the same name at Roosevelt and Wolf.

AD:

Re: Ever hear of Shady Cottage bar allegedly around Harlem & Belmont?
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: July 31, 2014 10:57PM

Google only pulled up a couple of mentions...one is from 1932 and mentions a 'Shady Cottage' at 2305 St. Charles Rd. in Bellwood and the name Mary Lekowitch.

Then, I came across this website about the history of Proviso and the Shady Cottage turns up again towards the bottom of the page.

[url=http://www.franzosenbuschheritagesociety.org/histories/ProvisoTownshipMaps/Life%20in%20Proviso%20%281850%20-%201900%29.htm]Life In Proviso[/url]

If you check the Google Street View, 2305 is an building with an adjacent house clearly older than the other buildings around it.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact