Park at Stateway Gardens in the early 1960's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Park at Stateway Gardens in the early 1960's
Posted by: Diamond ()
Date: July 12, 2014 06:06PM

Fond memories of a wonderful park/recreation center in or near Stateway Gardens in the 1960's. Attended day camp and was in plays there. Anybody have pictures or remember the name?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 10:56PM by Diamond.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Park at Stateway Gardens in the early 1960's
Date: July 26, 2014 07:26PM

I guess this is an untouchable subject. I gotta say when we lived in Stateway there were many two parent families that eventually move on to own houses; just as we did. Of course this was many, many decades ago. Our family was recognized once as "Family of the Year." Fond memories.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: July 27, 2014 04:46PM

As a former member of the CFD, I spent many hours in those projects in the late 70's and early 80's putting out garbage chute fires and getting people out of stuck elevators. There were the occasional apartment fires, but even those were mostly what we called "meat on the stove". Not many two-parent families in those days. Amazingly, we rarely ran into trouble in the State way buildings, but the Ida B. Wells projects were a whole different story.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 04:44PM

I think that a lot of the State Street Corridor projects were built as replacement housing for people displaced by Lake Meadows and Prairie Shores development, hence many families who worked and were really only there temporarily. The other problem, of part of the problems, were various federal mandates for rental rates and funding which gradually cropped up which more or less pushed community leaders (i.e. informal ones) and people who worked out of public housing, furthering their problems beyond what they would have had otherwise.

AD:

Date: July 30, 2014 12:34AM

My questions was more specifically targeted to information about the park at Stateway Gardens which included an indoor recreation center where I attended day camp in the summer and took drama classes. Looking for memorabilia and other history from the park.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:22PM

You might try a search for "stateway park".

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/Stateway-Park/

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact