Chicago radio in the 1920's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Chicago radio in the 1920's
Posted by: HamsDaughter ()
Date: June 14, 2014 11:38PM

Hello, I am a new member, and I thank you for this great site, and this forum. I am researching my ancestry, specifically, my great uncle, Frank G. Morris, who was a performer on WTAS out of Elgin in the mid 1920's. He also performed on other Chicago radio stations, but was a regular on WTAS. While with them, he recorded two sides on the Paramount label for the station..side A is "The Old Brown Pants", and side B is "Stand Up and Sing for Your Father", a link to which you will find below. He had a beautiful Irish tenor voice. I am lucky to have a copy of this record, but I am wondering if anyone here is an old time radio buff, and might know whether any recordings might have been made of radio programming in the 20's. Frank Morris was at WTAS until September of 1925, when he died of diabetes at the young age of 31. I have become a bit obsessed with finding out more about him, archival recordings, photos, news clippings, etc., and have hit a wall. Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsOJSE9OFc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsOJSE9OFc[/url]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago radio in the 1920's
Date: June 14, 2014 11:56PM

[bGood Luck!][/b]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 15, 2014 12:33AM

Recordings of radio programs of this era are exceedingly rare, but they do exist.
The odds of finding a recording of WTAS is very slim, however; it was a small station owned by Charles Erbstein. The station had regular live broadcasts from Erbstein's estate, Villa Olivia, or at a dance hall he also owned called The Purple Grackle.
Eventually, though, WTAS was merged into another station and that in turn was taken over by WGN in 1933.

Here's a WTAS program from June 1924. Hopefully you will find Uncle Frank mentioned in it!

[url=http://www.ontheshortwaves.com/Stations/WTAS.pdf]WTAS Program, 1924[/url]

By the way, the Paramount record label of this era is not connected to the Paramount Pictures company. It was a subsidiary of a company which made phonographs (as was the case with most record labels of the time).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 02:31AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: HamsDaughter ()
Date: June 15, 2014 09:52PM

Thank you so very much! I am familiar with the history of the station itself, in fact I am considering contacting WGN directly to inquire about any archives they may still have, as slim a chance as that may be. I would love to find a photo of Frank, as I have never seen one.
I can't believe you have a program! i know Frank did perform in at least part of 1924, as one of the "Boss'Own" troupe of performers. I truly can't thank you enough!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 09:54PM by HamsDaughter.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: June 17, 2014 07:02PM

You might want to check out a website called OTRCAT. They have tons of radio programs, and sell them on a mp3 disc, so you get quite a bit on one disc. I am not sure if they have any programs from the station or performer you are looking for, but it might be worth a try.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact