RR Tracks That Crossed South Western

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
RR Tracks That Crossed South Western
Posted by: Eric F ()
Date: June 08, 2014 08:07PM

Does anyone remember a huge set of RR tracks that crossed South Western Avenue somewhere between 74th and 87th. There may have been as many as 20 sets of tracks along with a small tower. Think they were around till maybe 1964 or 1965. Might have been just north of 79th St. For some reason, no one I talk to remembers them

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: RR Tracks That Crossed South Western
Date: June 09, 2014 07:32PM

[b]I do but I don't remember if they are gone. I will look it up.[/b]

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 08:29PM

They're long gone, and if my memory is correct, there were even more tracks than there were around 55th and St Louis.

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 10:40PM

[b]There are tracks crossing Western at 75th st. As of now.[/b]

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 11:08PM

This wasn't a viaduct though, you had to drive right over all the sets. I always remember them on the way to Evergreen Plaza as we travelled Southbound.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 09, 2014 11:20PM

If you check the Historic Aerials shot of the area in 1952, there looks to be a set of tracks crossing on a viaduct just south of 75th, then immediately south of that what looks to be a grade crossing (but hard to tell). Tracks don't cross over again until another viaduct near 82nd.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: June 10, 2014 02:01PM

Eric F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're long gone, and if my memory is correct,
> there were even more tracks than there were around
> 55th and St Louis.

While I never counted them, there were a lot of tracks at grade level at that location. Looks like there's maybe one left these days.

I don't recall a lot of tracks on Western at grade, although there are lots of tracks in that vicinity.

AD:

Posted by: BJButtons ()
Date: June 13, 2014 09:25AM

75th st and Western is the eastern edge of NS's former NW, former Walbash Landers Yard. The Belt Railway also crosses Western there as well on a bridge. I do not remember any kind of grade crossing on Western, but then again I am only 50. The tracks on 51st and St. Louis was part of the Grand Trunk RR Elsdon Yard. 51st ran right thru the middle of the yard. Ther was old wodded station tright on 51st, as well as a elvated tower to gaurd the crossing. Alas all but 2 of the tracks as well as the yard, tower, refuling/ warering coal towers, and round house at 49th and Kedzie where the shopping center with the Aldo and post office is, have been torn down. There is a building material yard, and a brand new school South of 51st on the former yard property, the lot where the station was and the yard North of 51st is empty. as of 6-13-14 the 2 remaining sets of tracks on 51st are being replaced and 51st is closed for the replacement

AD:

Posted by: locoengineer ()
Date: June 02, 2015 01:04AM

Eric F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone remember a huge set of RR tracks that
> crossed South Western Avenue somewhere between
> 74th and 87th. There may have been as many as 20
> sets of tracks along with a small tower. Think
> they were around till maybe 1964 or 1965. Might
> have been just north of 79th St. For some reason,
> no one I talk to remembers them

Are you thinking of the tracks on 71st Street just east of Western? This was the south end of PRR's yard and there were about twenty tracks (mainline and yard tracks) that crossed 71st at grade. There was also a shanty for the operator of the crossing gates----but I can't recall if he was in a tower or at ground level.....

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: June 03, 2015 12:17AM

As a kid back in the 50's we played on the tracks that ran from 52nd and Levitt down to 47th street. There was about 20 switch tracks and railroad car back up tracks. These were all overpass tracks.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact