Minuet Ballroom

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Minuet Ballroom
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: June 08, 2014 01:48PM

I came across a 1923 Tribune article which talked about the pending construction of the Minuet Ballroom, a supposed rival to the Trianon, and which was to create a center of entertainment in Logan Square to rival that of Woodlawn. The article stated that the land was already being cleared with an opening in 1924. It was to take the entire block of Milwaukee Avenue between Washtenaw and Talman.

It was to be 13,000 square feet, with an indoor facility as well as an outdoor dance floor and garden with fountain.

Did this ever get built? The Polks Directory for 1928 shows nothing of the sort.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Minuet Ballroom
Date: June 08, 2014 05:43PM

[b]Can somone tell me hoe to get Polk's directory? Since wee changed computers all I get is a bunch of type written letters or nothing when I go to that address.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: June 08, 2014 06:00PM

That parcel has been parking as long as I can remember.

The historic aerials show a big building in there as late as 1954 but, from the shadows, it only looks to be 1 story.

Certainly nothing like the drawing in the trib story.

Trib has plenty of mentions of the Wonderland ballroom farther up (2934n)
But only about three stories about the Minuet and all about the upcoming construction.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 09, 2014 04:04PM

Back in the mid 1960's there was a Jewel-Osco in that area, Milwaukee and Washtenaw. Osco was at where the KFC in now and the Jewel was at where Bubbleland is now. The legal address for the property, (Bubbleland) is 2235 N. Milwaukee according to the CCA's Office and the building was built around 1965. Whatever building was there in 1952 was a huge building and it doesn't look like the picture of the 1938 aerial photo of the building either.

It would have made sense at the time to build the Minuet there, 2235 Milwaukee with the Congress Theater right down the street and plus the fact that the property ran from Milwaukee to Lyndale Street to the North. That big building in the 1952 aerial photo consisted of two properties on Milwaukee, 2235 and 2231 just south of it.

By the way, the building at 2934 N. Milwaukee was built around 1918 according to City News Chicago.

Also there use to be a great hotdog stand right across the street called Chick's at this time. They had great tamales. The building is still there but now called Cafeteria Marianao.

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 06:23PM

The Jewel Osco I remember (1980's) was farther down at Maplewood. I used to buy my groceries there when I lived on Damen. They tore it down and rebuilt it as just an Osco.

The 1938 aerial has the same footprint right down to the clipped corner on Lyndale at the alley, but in both of those shots, it's hard to tell if it is a building or a fence.

The Congress wasn't built until '26 I think.

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 08:06PM

The more I think about it the more I think your right about the Jewel Osco being up at Washtenaw, I think they tore down the Osco building and made the parking lot bigger. Perhaps the Osco operation moved down to Maplewood where the CVS is now

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 09:22PM

PK, wasn't that a Dominick's or Butera's at Maplewood and Milwaukee in the 1970's? I know that there was a big name store there but I can't remember which one.

I thought the Congress was older but it is not. Built 1926.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 09:48PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 10:00PM

Can't speak for the '70s
I moved into wickerbuck parktown around '83.
Back then, the nearest supermarket was that Jewel.
A few years later they opened the Jewel at Milw and Division. It was a shorter walk.

AD:

Date: June 09, 2014 10:09PM

It was an A&P store back in the early 70's were the CVS is at now at Milwaukee and Maplewood.

AD:

Date: June 10, 2014 01:47AM

From the description in the Trib article, the indoor/outdoor aspect sounds similar to that of Midway Gardens, which was already in financial distress. Wonder if the downward spiral of MG led to the pulling of the Minuet plug.

AD:

Date: June 10, 2014 03:18PM

Some other findings.

A feb 3 24 article lists the developer as a Michael P. Morrissey.
'23 city directory lists only 1 Michael P. Morrissey. Pres of Utah sulphur, Residence 1358 Thorndale.
A Jun 26 '25 article says the Minuet plans revived, New owner Walter J. Spangler, New Architect Fridstein & Co.

AD:

Date: June 10, 2014 04:31PM

Interesting. The Fridstein & Co. firm kept busy on Milwaukee - this project, then the Harding Theater and finally the Congress.

AD:

Date: June 13, 2014 01:52PM

I see that they leveled the block just north of Washtenaw up to Belden where Max Gerber was.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact