Lone Hydrogen Filling Station

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Lone Hydrogen Filling Station
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: May 29, 2014 03:36PM

Does anyone remember the "new" hydrogen filling station that was built on the southwest corner of Damen and Fullerton? I seem to recall that it went up without much fanfare in the early 2000's, then was gone by 2005. I never saw any cars or trucks there, and wondered if anyone else knew anything about it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lone Hydrogen Filling Station
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 29, 2014 03:58PM

I do remember that! It was odd - if I remember right, there was a BBQ place there called Dixie Que which was in a building made to look like a weathered Route 66 gas station, and then it became that nitrogen station in the same structure.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: May 29, 2014 07:02PM

That wasn't hydrogen. It was liquified natural gas and it was back in '96.
Although they had hopes of public use it pretty much only was used for Peoples Gas's fleet of CNG powered vehicles.

It didn't last long.

I do miss the beans from Dixie Que though.
It was a Mel Markon restaurant that had just run its course. It closed in 95.

A trib article says

Markon says he's helping a friend develop new food products, but notes:

"Mostly, I've been working out and expanding my social horizons."

Of Dixie Que, he sighs: "It had a steady following, but the performance was getting a little marginal. We were faced with either expanding or closing. It was decided to close."

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: May 29, 2014 07:52PM

>That wasn't hydrogen. It was liquified natural gas and it was back in '96.
>Although they had hopes of public use it pretty much only was used for Peoples >Gas's fleet of CNG powered vehicles.

I sit corrected! I had been told it was for hydrogen, at the time.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 01, 2014 01:26PM

That was a gas station, where Dixie Que was back in the mid 1970's until it closed and became car stereo installer, sold beepers, etc. Dixie Que used the same building I believe. I went to Dixie Que's once. Parking wasn't the greatest either. Dixie Que was only there for about five years.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact