South Canal Street -- 500 West

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
South Canal Street -- 500 West
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: May 28, 2014 07:59PM

South Canal Street is 500 West, from 372 N to 4358 S. Why then, are the numbered addresses on 24th Street and 24th Place, just west of Canal Street, less than 500 West, as shown on Google Street View?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: South Canal Street -- 500 West
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:05PM

Because down there is isn't 500 west
It jogs slightly at the river.
That plus the fact that there isn't a single standard subdivided block in that neck of the woods. I'm sure that numbering those must have been a nightmare.

AD:

Date: May 29, 2014 09:29AM

PKDickman, thank you for your reply.

And, the Appleville Apartments at 501 West 24th Place is located just west of Canal Street, on the south side of 24th Place.

AD:

Date: May 29, 2014 10:50AM

[b]Canel street doesn't seem to bend that the numbers should change.On the next block there back to normal.[/b]

AD:

Date: May 29, 2014 01:12PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Canel street doesn't seem to bend that the numbers
> should change.On the next block there back to
> normal.

The bend is long and gradual, but all told it is about 150 feet or 6 street numbers.
Not a lot, but enough. You will notice that the numbers don't start at 400, they start around the 440s.
South of the river Normal Ave is the 500 line.

The Appleville Apartments are at 501 because they are part of a large planned development that spans from Canal, past Normal to Wallace. 501 is the address at the center of that parcel.

AD:

Date: May 29, 2014 01:16PM

p.s.
It's easier to see if you look at it on the zoning map.

[url=https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/zoning/liability.html?Submit=Accept]Chgo Zoning map start page[/url]

When you zoom to a high enough resolution it displays the lot lines, building footprints and street numbers.

AD:

Date: May 29, 2014 07:14PM

PKDickman, Thanks again for the information.

Not exactly penitent to this topic/question, but it reminds me that the south branch of the river was straightened between Polk Street and 18th, removing a bend in the river that was close to Clark Street for the benefit of the railroads and land valuation. The City of Chicago actually published a book, which I have, on the project in 1928 called - Straightening The Chicago River.

My interest in 24th Place started with my post:
http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/2/12120/a_city_block_in_chinatown

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact