Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago?
Posted by: amybizzarri ()
Date: May 07, 2014 03:17PM

I'm looking to find Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago...I'm thinking of smaller stores. Does anyone have a beloved Chicago store that is still a favorite after years and years?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago?
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: May 07, 2014 03:54PM

I repeat, American Science and Surplus.

AD:

Re: Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago?
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 08, 2014 10:55PM

There was a boutique called Your Snappy Shop on Irving near Central Park that was around for 30+ years. However, I think it closed last year or the year before.

One I can think of that's still open is Klees Golf Shop, in Beverly. They opened in 1910 across the street from the Jackson Park Golf Course (64th & Stony Island). They've moved a couple of times since then, but they're still around.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: May 14, 2014 05:48PM

Your Snappy Shop opened in 1964. They closed around January 30,2012. 48 years they were opened.

I can remember going to Simmons Pro Shop on Irving Park Road back in the mid 1970's when Vern operated the shop. Brian, his son now runs it. I believe they opened in 1946 and still is in the same location as well.

For that matter, Timber Lanes bowling down the street on Irving Park has been around since the mid 1970's that I know of. I think they go back as far as 1945. Bob the owner now used to work there back then and bought the bowling alley from Yogi in 1985.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: June 01, 2014 03:08PM

Gary's Cycle Shop on the 6100 block of north Clark Street has been family owned and operated since 1948 and has a steelr reputation among all who patronize it. It's a super small store front that has served my Edgewater neighborhood since a decade before I was born. The current owner bought it from Gary in the 50's and assumed the name "Gary" himself for the sake of continuity (few people are aware of this). His son has taken the reins in recent years and there's no reason to believe that Gary's won't be around for as long as their are bicyles.

A couple of years ago Gary declined to renew his license as a Schwinn dealer and the company forced him to paint over the iconic "Schwinn" sign at knee-level on the front of the shop.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 01, 2014 03:44PM

I forgot about this place. Gary's Cycle Shop use to be a Raleigh bike dealer in the late 1960's as well.

Also Rudy's Cycle Shop on west Irving Park Road has been around since the early 1960's as well.

AD:

Posted by: RON K. ()
Date: June 03, 2014 05:19PM

Chicago Harley Davidson.there also was a motorcycle shop on Archer ave near Harlem ave in the 50's and 60's sold b.s.a. Triumph. old wood floors.the smell of motor oil, can't beat that.

Also Chicago Coin on Archer ave near Naragansett.RON K.

p.s. I like the bike shops pic's.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: July 01, 2014 12:13PM

I think Wesley's Shoe Corral in the Hyde Park Shopping Center has been in business for 50+ years. The current owner inherited it from his father and he in turn purchased it from a neighbor (or something along those lines).

AD:

Posted by: joybryant ()
Date: October 04, 2014 05:58AM

There are many boutique which are more than 50+ years and are still providing best service and increasing it day by day and there are new boutiques also which provide the same service also one of them which I know is <a href="http://gingerandsmart.com/">ginger and smart boutique clothing</a>.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact