Blue Island Rail Yard

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Blue Island Rail Yard
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 06, 2014 01:34PM

I'm trying to find some history of a piece of government-owned land at or near a rail yard in Blue Island, around Vincennes Ave. Unfortunately, I don't have much more to go on than that, aside from the land being secluded/concealed enough to be used as a massive hemp growing field during WWII.

Anyone ever heard such a thing?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Blue Island Rail Yard
Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: April 08, 2014 05:46PM

The Rock Island Railroad had a massive freight facility in Blue Island just east of Western Avenue at 127th street. In fact, to this day Metra as well as a short haul rail company still use part of it. I lived in this area in the mid-70s and recall police in Blue Island as well as nearby Dolton and Riverdale would occasionally announce the discovery of another wild growing marijuana (hemp) field. These news articles almost always added that the hemp was the legacy of legally grown hemp cultivated during the Second World War. They claimed that hemp spread through wind-blown seeds as well as birds carrying seeds in their droppings. Even today this general area has many huge tracks of undeveloped prairie, forest preserves as well as railroad right-of-ways and Calumet River bank. There were, and still may be, areas where hemp is growing wild. I do not know where it was legally grown, but this area used to have many small farms.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 08, 2014 10:21PM

Very interesting, thank you!

I had a family member who was apparently very familiar with that land just after the war, as he was a resourceful beatnik with a penchant for jazz cigarettes.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 12:24PM

Doesn't hemp grow naturally in the midwest? As I understand (or understood if I'm wrong) there are multiple species some of which are native to the Midwest.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact